Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Upwork become serious?

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
21 of 50

Some things to take into consideration in a complaint like this, would be the freelancer's experience (time since freelancing), as well as the freelancer's category.

I can easily imagine that more experienced freelancers do not bid as often (since they get more invites and repeat clients), as well as some categories just simply do not have issues of 'no hires' because of the nature / status of those clients.

As stated before by others, at times the client simply cannot find suitable talent for the job. 40% of the verified clients with 'no hires' actually conducted interviews. This would support that argument that they just didn't find the right freelancer here.

@ Petra

No objections there, 50% conversion is very good. I was just explaining the frustration. Also for newer not established freelancers (no judgement on the OP), not applying is really not a feasible option.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 50

Setu M wrote: Also for newer not established freelancers (no judgement on the OP), not applying is really not a feasible option.

Why? Why not use the connects on job postings from clients with a higher hire rate?

That is why I wanted to know which category the OP works (or tries to find work) in.

It all comes down to personal conversion rate. If yours is 1 in 4 you probably will never complain about wasting connects because you have way more than you could possibly use. If it's 1 in 30 then there clearly is a problem.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
23 of 50

@Petra R wrote:

Why? Why not use the connects on job postings from clients with a higher hire rate?

The few (yes few) clients with a high hire rate will be geared towards (by the system) and or prefer more established freelancers. In some categories, where competition is very high (>60 applicants per post), the only break a less established freelancer can get is by applying to less established (new/low hire rate) clients. They are therefore at greater risk of this 'no hire' situation.

This is why the OP's frustration has to be taken into context. Because not all freelancers have the "real" option of not applying. Either lose the connects, or lose the best opportunity provided to you (based on your standing), in the form of less established - low hire rate or new clients.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 50

@Setu M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

1) The few (yes few) clients with a high hire rate will be geared towards (by the system) and or prefer more established freelancers.

2) In some categories, where competition is very high (>60 applicants per post), the only break a less established freelancer can get is by applying to less established (new/low hire rate) clients. They are therefore at greater risk of this 'no hire' situation.

3) This is why the OP's frustration has to be taken into context. Because not all freelancers have the "real" option of not applying.

1) Often those may also be high volume and not super fussy ones, so a freelancer with a less shiny profile would stand a decent enough chance. Again, with the OP hiding her profile, we can't even begin to say what category she works in and whether her problem is in any way related to clients low hire rate or something else altogether.

2) To a degree yes. But a super profile and a great cover letter should get a truly competent freelancer out of that area fairly swiftly. Also, as in any other business, if a market is saturated to a point where there is no profit to be had, those who have any sense diversify or specialize. As an example "data entry without any special skills" is saturated to the point where it's probably pointless to apply full stop.

3) Exactly. Context would be knowing which field she is trying to work in, and what her profile looks like. I still suspect that those 2 factors are more at the root cause of her inability to win (enough) contracts than the issue of hire rates as such

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
25 of 50

My dear thanks a lot for taking the time out to ponder. I work as a creative writer and that's it. I have kept my profile private in order to avoid unconcerned folks from getting in touch.Well! you as well as I know very well that most clients prefer native speakers for their writing job which is very logical and I have great respect for native English speakers but sometimes it so happens that even after waiting for a period of more than two weeks the clients don't hire anybody. I don't think that every single client is unable to find atleast one good native English for the job. My only point is why don't they hire anybody amongst the native speakers if that is what they are looking for ?

droleary
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
26 of 50

@Tabinda H wrote:

My only point is why don't they hire anybody amongst the native speakers if that is what they are looking for ?

Because 90% of "clients" post junk jobs that nobody rational should be applying for in the first place.  Blame the client for that, not for their inability to hire.  If your real complaint is that you're running out of Connects, learn to better filter the good jobs from the bad.  I end every month with 30+ Connects left, because there just aren't enough quality jobs remaining on Upwork.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
27 of 50

Thankyou Darrin, I will be careful in future

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
28 of 50

The OP has a point.......

The OP also posts lots of similar posts - in that it's always a topic that has gotton a lot of traction already. I deeply suspect the OP doesn't bother to read anything outside of her own threads. Be warned.

Moving right along, I have on occassion wished for the exact scarnio outlined in the original post because my specific niche TAKES FOREVER to hire, and about 50% of the time gives up (and usually tries again a month or 2 later). Note these are established clients with an otherwise good hire rate.

I accept this as the cost of doing business, however annoying it is.

However, what REALLY burns me are the clients who, each week, post an exact replica of the same 3 jobs they posted the week before.  And the week before that. And the week before that, Ad nauseum. Do they EVER hire on any of these jobs? Nope!

Example: In the last 2 months, a Silver Tier client in New York has been posting the same 3-5 jobs once a week, every week. Since these jobs always show up in my job feeds, I began to pay attention about a month ago. They never hire ANYONE. And apparently, freelancers have FINALLY begun to notice this, because in the last 2 weeks I've seen way, way less bids on these jobs.

Point being clients should not be able to get away with this, even if they ARE SILVER TIER. There should be some sort of checks and balance that works to counter this behavior.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
29 of 50

What abou the clients that dont even intervew  a single person?

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
30 of 50

If you found a your solution in outside upwrk be polite and close the job post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS