Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Upwork become serious?

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
31 of 50

I am thankful to Setu and Hanna that they have  understood my viewpoint. May be I was unable to convey the problem appropriately. Anyways some policy should be chalked out by Upwork  so that the clients are NOT PROVIDED a free-hand to use Upwork as a LEISURE activity.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
32 of 50

Dear Gurus,

Don't get crossed with me as my only demand is that clients should HIRE someone . I don't accept as true the fact that ALL THE CLIENTS are unable to find an appropriate free-lancer from the lot. Please don't label me as a frustrated person as all I am asking is some sort of better plan and that's it. By the way I am a qualified Medical doctor plus a certified clinical dietitian.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
33 of 50

I request Pandora to elaborate her statements i.e. ''The OP also posts lots of similar posts - in that it's always a topic that has gotton a lot of traction already. I deeply suspect the OP doesn't bother to read anything outside of her own threads. Be warned.'

Why should she use the phrase BE WARNED?

May I request an explanation?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
34 of 50

@Tabinda H wrote:

I request Pandora to elaborate her statements i.e. ''The OP also posts lots of similar posts - in that it's always a topic that has gotton a lot of traction already. I deeply suspect the OP doesn't bother to read anything outside of her own threads. Be warned.'

Why should she use the phrase BE WARNED?

May I request an explanation?

Tabinda, my intent was not to be rude, however, it may appear that I was indeed quite rude. Sorry about that. The point I was trying to make was that you have a tendancy to create new threads about topics that have been discussed in many other big threads. 

This is a common tactic that a lot of new forum users do, but those of us who have been on the forums for months and years know better.

For newbies reading your threads, they might not be aware that there is already 4 threads with 20 posts each about topics just like this one, which in fact has been discussed MANY times already.

If you have a reaction to an Upwork function and a thread already exisits about it, why not simply add your view to the existing thread?

We already have a rather disfunctional forum, and the fact that we have 10 or more threads about the same topic is beyond lame.

(Note:  I am totally aware this is an aspect of the build-out of the forums, and that you, along with the rest of us, are stuck using the forums as is. Sigh)

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
35 of 50

Pandora ,

Thanks for clarifying the matter ; no you were not rude at all and I accept whatever you have written ;but the only reason I use a new thread is that  most of the time the option for typing a message vanishes somewhere so the only choice left for me to push my thoughts at the place where I can find some space. I never do it intentionally.

Now that brings me to another point that the Upwork should simplify the platform for its forum.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
36 of 50

@Tabinda H wrote:

Pandora ,

Thanks for clarifying the matter ; no you were not rude at all and I accept whatever you have written ;but the only reason I use a new thread is that  most of the time the option for typing a message vanishes somewhere so the only choice left for me to push my thoughts at the place where I can find some space. I never do it intentionally.

Now that brings me to another point that the Upwork should simplify the platform for its forum.

What do you mean by "typing a message vanishes somewhere". A great example of proper usage of the forum is this very thread.

You have posted more then one message in this thread, and even replied to certain specific posts, like mine. This is the proper way to use an existing thread, even if you did not start it.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
37 of 50

Believe me Pandora, it has happened quite a few times. Sometimes it works while at other times it doesn't.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
38 of 50

"my only demand is that clients should HIRE someone"

But you have no right to demand that.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
39 of 50

As a client, I have a 70% hire rate after posting a few dozen jobs.

That means I usually hire when I post a job.

But not always.

I don't post jobs to waste people's time and not hire anybody.

But sometimes nobody applies to a job who is qualified to do it, and I can't hire somebody.

It happens. I'm sorry if you are frustrated by this, but in order to maintain a client-friendly platform that clients like to use and return to, it's really best to allow clients to NOT hire somebody. This is what is best for contractors, because happy clients mean more money for contractors.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
40 of 50

I am a very serious person, especially when it comes to money. I take making it seriously, and I take Upwork seriously in ensuring I get paid.

Everything else that works well is a bonus.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS