Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Upwork become serious?

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
41 of 50

Who says so?

As a free-lancer I have all the right to demand that and it is the prerogative of Upwork to comply to anybody's demands or not!

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
42 of 50

If you think businesses should be forced into awarding work on this platform, even if no proposals match their needs, then I don't know what you are but you're not a freelancer.

I don't even notice when jobs I bid on don't get awarded. I don't care. All I care about is whether or not they're awarded to me, and even then it's a huge meh. I write proposals, send them off and forget about them. If I later hear back, great. If not, well, that's life. My suggestion to you is that you spend less time getting hot and bothered about unawarded jobs, and more on fine-tuning your proposals.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
habitab8888
Ace Contributor
43 of 50

Fergus that's great

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
44 of 50

Any more advices?

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
45 of 50

No, that's the most important thing.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
46 of 50

@Tabinda H wrote:

Who says so?

As a free-lancer I have all the right to demand that

Of course you have every right to demand it, in much the same way that you have every right to demand that the sun starts orbiting the sun. Both demands have roughly the same chance of success.

Let's take a step back...

Your problem is not clients who post jobs and do not hire anyone.

Your problem is clients who post jobs and don't hire YOU.

So instead of complaining that clients don't hire anyone whydon't we concentrate on the root of the problem and find you some strategies that will help you get hired more often.

You are a medical doctor. If you have a patient come in complaining about some symptom that you can easily treat, but which you know is caused by a more serious underlying condition, what do you do? Just treat the symptom and wait for the next one, or do you treat the underlying root cause and by doing so make the symptom go away or become irrelevant?

It's the same here, only you have misdiagnosed the condition. You see a symptom of not winning as many jobs as you would like. You have diagnosed the fact that a percentage of clients do not hire as the cause, even though it is absolutely possible that even if they had hired someone, it may not have been you so the end result (not enough jobs for you) would have been the same.

Why don't you turn it all around and stop concentrating on clients who don't hire, and concentrate on making sure that those who DO hire, hire YOU more often?

Because that's what this is really all about, isn't it? If more of the clients who DO hire were to hire you, you'd not care whether others don't hire, you'd not have time to work for them anyway,......

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
47 of 50

I am thankful to you Petra but alongside myself, I am talking on behalf of others too. My job success rate has fallen from 88 percent to 86 percent. So when I think about myself , I also think about others who must be undergoing the same feelings as I am.

j_peloquin
Ace Contributor
Jonathan P Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
48 of 50

I'll agree that there is some issues that need to be worked out with the clients, but if I was to post a job and couldn't find someone I trusted with the job and was forced to hire, I wouldn't bother with this site.

With writing jobs on here, it can be difficult to land a good paying job. Writers are on the lower rung of the freelancer ladder. What I found has worked best, is to diversify what you add to your propsal. Some jobs this won't help, but if its writing for a website and you include something like SEO with your offer, you are going to get a better chance at landing the gig and the client might even end up raising the offer to a better rate. I have had many clients throw me a bonus or increase the payment of the job. With writing you are also going to be faced with a lot of people applying all at once. The best thing you can do is stay at it, include additional skills in your proposal and not give up. When you find good long term clients the struggle will become worth it.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
49 of 50

I think this thread has outlived its life. Every contingency has been looked at and rehashed. It is another rehash of a theme that has bee prevalent more than once. I would suggest it now be closed.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
50 of 50

Irene , I agree with you

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS