🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: When you have no samples but over 30 year...
Page options
f6fb8152
Community Member

When you have no samples but over 30 years experience

Hello,

I worked primarily in permanent positions for over 30 years and retired in June. The company from which I retired will not permit me to use samples of writing done while under their employment. Upwork does not permit freelancers to write or edit a few pages for free to prove writing abilities. So how does one get started?

Thanks,

Linda

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Also: It's a cool idea to find people you can do pro bono work for. But you don't even need to do that.

You can just make up fictional clients in your mind, and write custom pieces for them. That way, you have complete ownership of the work.

You can and should add writing samples to your portfolio that you yourself write for no reason other than to add the work to your portfolio.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
yofazza
Community Member

Upwork does not permit freelancers to write or edit a few pages for free

I think they allow it. They don't allow clients to ask for free samples.

I think you can also write the above reason in your profile.

Radia L wrote:

I think you can also write the above reason in your profile.

Clients here can have their pick of writers. They're unlikely to choose a freelancer who has no samples of their work, regardless of what the reason is.

Thanks for your feedback. The importance and lack of samples is why I asked the original question. 

f6fb8152
Community Member

Thanks Radia. What did you mean about writing the reason?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Simply create samples.

Create as many samples as you want and populate your Upwork portfolio with your samples.

Thanks for your suggestion Preston.  For technical writing, would it be acceptable to document a fictional software application?

penngrp
Community Member

Hi,

Just my opinion, but I would remove the Bold section, as it is already mentioned by Upwork elsewhere on the page. I would replace it with something similar to the Bold Italic section...Again just an opinion.

Technical writing has been my career niche for years. I have a bachelor’s degree in communications (journalism) and an associate’s degree in computers. I excel at transforming written content from redundant and rambling to pithy and organized.

Technical writing has been my career niche for more than 30 years. Because of this I am certain that you will benefit greatly from the experience I have developed over the years. I excel at transforming written content from redundant and rambling to pithy and organized.

Again, just an opinion.

f6fb8152
Community Member

Thanks Jeffrey. I like your advice. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Write some pieces and use them as samples. Look for worthy non-profits in your community that would welcome your pro bono services and permit you ot use the output as work samples to showcase your capabilities. 

Thanks Phyllis.

moonraker
Community Member

Linda C wrote:

Upwork does not permit freelancers to write or edit a few pages for free to prove writing abilities.

You can write samples to add to your portfolio.

What Upwork doesn't allow is free work, or in other words, writing free samples on request specifically for clients.

Thank you Jamie. Is it permissible for the freelancer to offer to edit or write a small amount of content free of charge to prove writing ability? Is it just that the client should not ask? 

re: "Is it permissible for the freelancer to offer to edit or write a small amount of content free of charge to prove writing ability?"

It is NOT a violation of Upwork ToS for a freelancer to do that.

You would NOT be punished by Upwork for doing that.

re: "Is it just that the client should not ask?"

It IS a violation for a client to ask.

A client should NOT be asking.

YOU HAVE YOUR OWN POLICY.
Most successful freelancers DO NOT WORK FOR FREE.

My advice to you is to creat a nice portfolio. Then no legitimate client will need to ask you to work for free.

I don't believe that a REAL Upwork client would think about hiring you as a writer if you don't have a portfolio. I know that I wouldn't.

When I hire freelancers for creative work, that's the first thing I look at: Their portfolio. If they don't have a portfolio, I just discard their proposals.

f6fb8152
Community Member

Thank you

Also: It's a cool idea to find people you can do pro bono work for. But you don't even need to do that.

You can just make up fictional clients in your mind, and write custom pieces for them. That way, you have complete ownership of the work.

You can and should add writing samples to your portfolio that you yourself write for no reason other than to add the work to your portfolio.

Thanks Preston. I missed this reply on my first pass through the responses. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths