Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are all the quality clients?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 18

Since oDesk / Upwork made all the changes I have not seen many quality clients! Very few! Since Upwork brought in these new changes I have not been hired for over 7 weeks now and yes I am Top Rated.....

All we seem to be left with is new clients / clients offering work at absurd rates!!!!

So what's happening Upwork All the good clients that paid well have gone / disappeared?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
2 of 18

My first Kudo to lan D.

Even we disagree in our last threads but I am agree with you at least you have seen the impact.Its two months I hardly have new clients I dont know where they have gone last month I have used 15 to 20 connects I dont remember and this month is worst I still have 50 connects to use but I dont know where to use them I just burn 10 but still not lucky to have any job I am top rated as well but its not working for me.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie T Member Since: Sep 29, 2011
3 of 18

While this is not adverstised on the site, upwork has some speocial "premium programs" to match "top" freelancers with the high paying clients. See Link to the Freelancers Union blog and link to Upwork's Enterprise Solutions. I asked customer support about these programs...seemed suprised that I knew about them and they are not open yet Smiley Frustrated 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 18

DELETED by author.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 18

Thanks Iftikhar Smiley Happy

I don't like guessing maybe quality clients are not happy too?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 18

I don't think the quality of clients has changed. We all have to remember tax season just finished last month and a lot of people were tight with their money. Whether it is Upwork or working for yourself there are times of the year that slow down for some kinds of work.

I had myself set to not available and had two job invites. I had a new client at the beginning of last month and was interviewed by two others that were invites and all three wanted to hire me. I had to choose which one I wanted to work for.

I don't think it is lack of quality clients, just changes and the time of year.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 18

Hi Suzanne,

I would accept that but I have been here for quite a few years now and not being hired for over 7 weeks never happen to me before. Maybe 2 weeks not 7!

This only happen around the time oDesk / Upwork made all the changes.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
8 of 18

I have noticed this same thing. I used 10 connects last month and 0 this month. The job pool is empty or filled with jobs I wouldn't apply to because the pay is so low. I do get plenty of invites every day from brand new clients that are offering pennies. No thanks.

I too have been here for a couple of years and have never experienced this. I am top rated as well. The jobs are simply not there. I typically maintain the same level of income every month. Last month my income dropped by about 25 percent. My Year To Date earnings certainly reflect that decline as well.

I have plenty of regular clients, but I typically take on a couple of other big jobs. The past 7 weeks it has all been my regualr clients and no extras.

Yes--something has changed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 18
There are high quality, high paying clients hiring now on Upwork. Maybe that varies by job category, though.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
10 of 18

Several posters have laid out good points in this thread, including time of the year, and job category.

I've been on Upwork for 5 years, and have seen this many times.  While I would agree that "tax time" certainly affects the number of new job posts during the Spring, it's May and I think most clients have recovered from that.

I an confirm however, that it does seem that job posts in certain categories can come in waves. I support a very small niche, and quality clients in that niche are far and few between.  I look for new clients about twice a year, and have noticed that one month a lot of good jobs appear, but then the next, nothing. 

Of course, the mad robot is partially to blame for this too. How are we supposed to be found by clients when the Freelancer search is broken, our Profiles are not indexed properly, etc.

And there is also the issue with Support. One of my clients needed to reach out to them in April, and it took almost a month to resolve.

Plus, the multitude of changes lately has left both clients and freelancers a bit befuddled. I think this will resolve over time, but I know it sucks right now. I hate saying "hang in there" to people who rely on the Upwork platform as their primary income source, but in my 5 years here, good clients always end up surfacing, eventually.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS