Did you mean: 

Where can I see client name?

Suhaib C Member Since: Aug 16, 2016
1 of 13

Where can I see client name?

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 13

Suhaib, do you mean in a job posting? You cannot see their name unless they respond to a proposal you submit. The job posting only lists their history stats and location. 

Francisco M Member Since: Jun 10, 2017
3 of 13

Pretty missleading since in the "best practices" for contacting clients by upwork itself they recommend using the client name and avoiding generl greetings.

Not good.

Dev moorthi A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
4 of 13

Agreed!

Cristy R Member Since: May 17, 2018
5 of 13

I needed to know the client name because we are supposed to include them to the cover letter right? Thanks for the answer, im just new to upwork, TIA

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

Cristy:

The answer is no.

You do not need to see the client's name in order to send a proposal. You do not need to include it in a cover letter.

Remember:

None of the other freelancers applying to the job have the client's name.

Nobody is using it.

The client doesn't want you to address her by name. She wants you to explain how you will do a great job on her project.

Ahmed S Member Since: Aug 4, 2018
7 of 13

Then they shouldn't have recommended to include client names in Upwork's Tutorial section

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
8 of 13

@Preston H wrote:

Remember:

None of the other freelancers applying to the job have the client's name.

Nobody is using it.

Au contraire. As mentioned above, freelancers can often find the the client's name in feedback from previous hires. And, given the number of sources (including Upwork) that recommend using the client's name, I'd be amazed if no one is doing it.

Personally, I don't go looking for the client's name in feedback. But occasionally a client gives their name in the job description, and then I do address them by name. It seems unfriendly not to.

Karen Joy G Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
9 of 13

So, how are we going to address clients since ive read from somewhere that a proposal letter that starts with a "Dear Sir" or a "Dear Maam" goes straight to the bin.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

Karen Joy G wrote:

So, how are we going to address clients since ive read from somewhere that a proposal letter that starts with a "Dear Sir" or a "Dear Maam" goes straight to the bin.

I just write "Hi" and launch straight into my proposal. No need for any "Dear XXXX" unless the name is shown on the job post in which case I write "Hi John" or whatever.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS