Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I Pay my taxes living abroad ?

chuevzla
Jesus A Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
1 of 11

Hello everyone!

I'm a freelancer. I'm from Venezuela currently legally residing in Mexico. I deposit half of my earnings in an USA Bank and the other half in Mexican Bank. 

I'm having trouble to understand how and where do I pay my income taxes? do I pay them in Venezuela, Mexico or USA ?

Does anyone have an idea on this topic?

Thanks a lot

imakeinternet
Community Leader
Mike W Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
2 of 11

You pay tax on the USA bank in the USA.

You pay tax on the Mexican bank in Mexico.

Consult a tax professional if you don't understand.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

@Mike W wrote:

You pay tax on the USA bank in the USA.

You pay tax on the Mexican bank in Mexico.

I don't think so. If he is not "resident for tax purposes" in the USA he doesn't have to pay taxes in the USA. He does have to discuss it with a tax professioonal as you say, but he doesn't pay taxes in a country he has no residency, citizenship or legal personal or business presence in.

imakeinternet
Community Leader
Mike W Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
4 of 11

It really depends on how the money is entering the country.  Pre or post tax.  The USA is notorious for double taxing out of country income under certain circumstances.

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 11

@Mike W wrote:

It really depends on how the money is entering the country.  Pre or post tax.  The USA is notorious for double taxing out of country income under certain circumstances.

For people who are not US citizens, not US residents, don't have any business presence or personal presence in the US and may never even have set foot in the USA?

Merely having a bank account in a country does not automatically make you liable for income / revenue taxes.

hernandez-luz
Community Leader
Luz H Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
6 of 11

Definitely, NOT in Venezuela.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 11

Banks are tightening up. I have a UK bank account (which I have had since the beginning of time) and pay tax in France with the same bank but in France. I recently I had to go through a full verification process with my UK bank - passport, utility bills etc. My brother had to do the same thing. He lives in Brazil and pays tax in Brazil, but has accounts elsewhere and he had to go through the same verification processes. 

The OP may have to prove to his US bank where he is paying tax. So best thing to do is to make sure that his status in Mexico is good to go.

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 11

@Nichola L wrote:

Banks are tightening up. I have a UK bank account (which I have had since the beginning of time) and pay tax in France with the same bank but in France. I recently I had to go through a full verification process with my UK bank - passport, utility bills etc. My brother had to do the same thing. He lives in Brazil and pays tax in Brazil, but has accounts elsewhere and he had to go through the same verification processes. 

The OP may have to prove to his US bank where he is paying tax. So best thing to do is to make sure that his status in Mexico is good to go.

That's because banks now have much stricter "KYC" (know your customer) rules for anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism etc etc  purposes. Nothing to do with taxes though.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

That's because banks now have much stricter "KYC" (know your customer) rules for anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism etc etc  purposes. Nothing to do with taxes though.

It is to do with taxes too. Big, big tightening on this - especially when it comes to offshore savings. This is global. Nowhere to hide anymore!!

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
10 of 11

For people from Venezuela I don't know, but for europeans we pay taxes to wherever we live for 180 days a year or more. If we don't live anywhere for that many days a year we have to pay taxes to the country where we are citizens. At least that's what my business attorneys told me. Has nothing to do with which country you hold you bank account in. (I have bank accounts in 6 different countries, and I'm not paying taxes to any of those countries. 

Side note. Even with strickter KYC and KYB routines there are still places to hide, you just have to know where they are...