cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I report a client?

pfcwife14
Robin H Member Since: May 10, 2016
1 of 33

I had a potential client I waited for 2 days for her to set up contract on upwork.  She claimed that she usually used western union or moneygram. I told her I would only accept payment through upwork itself. After 2 days of saying she would get it done, she told me this morning she was working on setting up paypal, but hours later still had not sent the contract for me to agree to.  She is again mentioned wanting to pay outside of upwork.  I know this against upwork policy.  How do I report it?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 33

Take copies (or screenshots) of your conversations with this client + link to the job and report it to CS, by submitting a request through the help pages.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=e2d4d0c38ee5a63a23da96611f87da3bf256b52b

View solution in original post

pfcwife14
3 of 33

Thank you for your quick response.  I am very cautious about working online, and it gets me when people try to violate terms like this. I sent a request.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 33

Couple of points here, that absolutely are not meant for the original poster, because she clearly already understands how to do the right thing. For newbies just joining us:

1) Clients may not understand how Upwork functions. On other sites, it is perfectly legitimate to meet contractors and arrange to pay them directly via PayPal or Western Union. But it's not okay on Upwork.

2) A client who wants to pay you outside of Upwork will either be glad to be informed about the correct way to things, and will offer a legitimate Upwork contract. Or she is almost certainly a scammer.

3) If a client has been informed about the necessity to pay through Upwork, but insists on doing otherwise, they're probably planning on tricking you and not paying you at all. So regardless of how much you care about the rules, there's no money to be made there.

4) If a client really is going pay you outside of Upwork, both the client and the contractor face the very real possibility of having their accounts suspended or permanently terminated if Upwork catches them doing so. So even if you don't care about Upwork's rules, arranging (or discussing) payment off-platform is too risky to really contemplate because whatever savings a person thinks they might achieve from doing so wouldn't be worth the total loss of their Upwork account.

pfcwife14
5 of 33

Thank you for posting that. I tried to get a contract from the client for 2 days on UpWork with payment set up on here, but she always had an excuse as to why it wasn't done and why she prefered to pay outside of this site.  I ended the candidacy and took screen shots of the conversation.  I could tell something wasn't right.

aaronbanez
Aaron B Member Since: Sep 6, 2018
6 of 33
Hi, how do I report a client? She asked me to do a trial, she said it’s a paid trial. And then after doing the trial, she said that she’ll hire me. Then she blocked me.
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 33

Hi Aaron,

Feel free to reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with more information about this. Thank you.

Untitled
aaronbanez
Aaron B Member Since: Sep 6, 2018
8 of 33
Hi Goran,

It seems that there’s a problem, upon clicking your name it’s just loading and I can’t send you a message. Is there any other way?
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 33

Hi Aaron,

I just sent you a PM as a test and you should've received it. You can check this by clicking on the envelope icon at the top right corner. If you have received it, simply open the message and click Reply. Thank you.

Untitled
aleksmitev
Aleksandar M Member Since: Apr 8, 2021
10 of 33

Hi Goran, can you help me please, I have some problem with my client. Can we go to the pvt. messages please?! Thansk 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS