Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I report a client?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 33

Hi Gloria,

I see that you haven't had any contracts on Upwork yet. Please, make sure the client makes an offer to you on Upwork, you accept is and a contract visible under My Jobs tab is created before you do any work for the client. Also, make sure the client's payment method is verified and, if it's a fixed-price contract, money is funded in Escrow. That way you can benefit from Upwork Payment Protection.

Please, check this post to learn more about how to get to a safe and successful start on Upwork

~ Valeria
Untitled
remiapabalinas
Remia P Member Since: May 4, 2017
22 of 33

Hello Ms. Valeria,

May I ask a question

This is my first time to have a client and I would like to inquire about how should a freelancer and   client would deal in UPwork. my client wants me to download TEAMVIEWER so he can access my pc/phone but i worry about this because my phone might get hacked and important infos like my bank details such as passwords might be taken.  Is this normal that client request their freelancer to download TEAMVIEWER.
Also is it normal that client ask their freelancer to use credit cards/debit cards in the task they wants us to do?

thank you and hoping you can give me some enlightenment on this.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
23 of 33

@Remia P wrote:

Hello Ms. Valeria,

May I ask a question

This is my first time to have a client and I would like to inquire about how should a freelancer and   client would deal in UPwork. my client wants me to download TEAMVIEWER so he can access my pc/phone but i worry about this because my phone might get hacked and important infos like my bank details such as passwords might be taken.  Is this normal that client request their freelancer to download TEAMVIEWER.
Also is it normal that client ask their freelancer to use credit cards/debit cards in the task they wants us to do?

thank you and hoping you can give me some enlightenment on this.

Remia,

Regarding your credit card question -- no. 

This is a red flag.

If there's something you choose to purchase for the job, that's at your discretion. For example, I've purchased books in the past for writing jobs. But, this wasn't a request by the client.

I agree that this reeks of a scam. 

remiapabalinas
24 of 33

Thank you very much to all your advices

i will always keep that in mind.

Always look for red flags before

agreeing to enter into contract

shetani
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
25 of 33

Remia, NEVER give people access to your PC or your phone. DO NOT use TeamViewer to let people connect to your computer.

There is NO reason why a client would need access to your computer, especially your phone! They have no business clicking around your files or your phone - I don't even let my mother touch my machines, let alone some stranger on the internet.

Don't be crazy and don't be fooled by the fact that the person is "nice and understanding". Don't be naive.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
26 of 33

Hi Remia,

I don't have an insight into your conversation with your client but would advise against processing any payments on your end required to work and complete this job. Also, your concerns are valid and you should take extreme caution in regard to the client's request for accessing your computer. I'll ask our team to review the job and would like to ask you to take screenshots and share the requests your client sent with our Customer Support team.

Please review the advice we shared in this thread and the freelancer resources compiled here.

Untitled
radmila-m
Ace Contributor
Radmila M Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
27 of 33
Remia, I'm sure someone from the team will shortly answer in details about this. Regarding TW I can say that I used it couple of times but only on client PC, not on mine. Also, I don't see a point of using your own credit /debit cards for anything, except geting a payment after succesfuly finished job 😆. My general advice is that if you have any doubts about the job, stick to your guts, it is probably a scam.
remiapabalinas
28 of 33

Thank you Radmila. My client is nice and understanding of my lack of experience however i worry about those things, such as security of my personal details.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 33

@Remia P wrote:

Thank you Radmila. My client is nice and understanding of my lack of experience however i worry about those things, such as security of my personal details.

Do not, under ANY circumstances let any client talk you into adding or using your own credit card or anything like that anywhere.  

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 33

I love TeamViewer. It is an excellent tool that I use as a client to grant access to expert freelancers when I want them to work with me on my computer to do technical things that I don't know how to do.

But I never heard of a client asking a freelancer to use TeamViewer to access the freelancer's computer. That sounds very suspicious.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS