🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Where do freelancers get work?
Page options
ilannamandel
Community Member

Where do freelancers get work?

May I ask where else you look for freelance writing work?

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
melaniekhenson
Community Member

If you google Hire Freelancers you'll find a whole bunch with the "biggies" coming up first.  

In addition, people sell their services via Facebook as well as individual sites on Wordpress or Wix or what-have-you. These can take longer as you need a solid reputation - anyone can create a web page and then disappear, something clients well know - but they're all options.

I'm also interested in knowing other freelancer websites. For the moment Upwork has been a big waste of time. 

It wasn't always like that, I used to get on good job after another. Now it's just poor work with póor budgets, I'm almost giving up after more than 300 connects spent with not a single serious interview in the past 3 - 4 months.

Paloma H wrote:

I'm also interested in knowing other freelancer websites. For the moment Upwork has been a big waste of time. 

Hi Paloma,
I have looked at your profile. You are a photographer, and with years of experience.
What you need urgently in your profile is a good portfolio!

Although you can direct a potential client to a website that shows your work by submitting a proposal, you should have a portfolio that shows your skills, so, they are visible to anyone accessing your profile.

¡Y no desesperes!

Suerte.

Paloma H wrote:

Hi Paloma, compatriot, you definitely need a portfolio, since you have no prior work history here in Upwork. In my opinion, that's the hardest part of being new. You may have lots of experience but without a history people barely trust. A portfolio may make up for the lack of prior history. Besides, photo editing is a very crowded niche here. It's not impossible to make your way but you need to have those facts in count.

tlbp
Community Member

If you don't want to be dependent on freelance platforms (and diversification is good), then you need to develop a personal brand. Prospective clients expect to be able to learn about you from multiple sources, not just rely on what you tell them. This information is essential when you are contracting with strangers. 

If you don't have a LinkedIn profile, create one. And, pay attention to what you are posting on any social media accounts that you maintain. Do a web search of your name and see what pops up on the first page. Use social media, Medium or other searchable resources to establish who you are and what you have to offer. Then, begin networking. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths