cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where have all the (Elance) jobs gone?

laurenrosen
Lauren R Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
1 of 32

Each morning, there used to be, if not hundreds, at least 100 new job postings on Elance. Presumably, all clients are now being told to post their jobs on Upwork, but the number of new jobs doesn't compare to what Elance offered. Is there another site - or sites - where clients are going, rather than Upwork? Please let me know if you've secured good-paying freelance assignments, as a writer and editor, at any other sites. Many thanks in advance.

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
2 of 32

Elance stopped allowing new job posts, or they are very limited now. A lot of clients on Elance elected not to join Upwork, as did many freelancers. As Elance winds down, there may be another wave of new people joining Upwork. 

As far as other sites, editing/writing is one of the most competive categories, and that will never change. I have more offsite clients via word of mouth from doing this for so long, but not everyone can go that route. So, it's best to split your time between other sites. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 32

A couple of my lingering clients have said that they need to move to upwork. I've been sending my profile link and ensuring that they have my info. They are doing a hard push to get people here. Quite a few of my recent Upwork jobs have been for Elance transplants.

plwimsett
Ace Contributor
Paul W Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
4 of 32
I assume more companies are hiring in house, rather than use freelancing sites. Maybe some of the wilier Elance freelancers have managed to get clients to deal with them off-site?
walkerrowe
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
5 of 32

That is a darned good question.  In the writing category I used to put out 5 bids and always get one offer.  I specialie in IT writing.  If you do just editing then forget it:  there is too much competition.  Find a niche.

Anyway back to your point I have really seen that the good jobs on eLance have not come here.  I only see maybe one job here per day worth bidding on.  The rest are just SEO junk and rewrite plagiarism.  Where have all the American tech companies gone with their $800 to $3,000 projects?

There really is no other freelance site out there with any traffic except that one in Australia.  And I would not bid there as I never bid on Australian jobs anyway because they pay Asian rates.

When you figure this out please write us back.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 32

@walker R wrote:

That is a darned good question.  In the writing category I used to put out 5 bids and always get one offer.  I specialie in IT writing.  If you do just editing then forget it:  there is too much competition.  Find a niche.

Anyway back to your point I have really seen that the good jobs on eLance have not come here.  I only see maybe one job here per day worth bidding on.  The rest are just SEO junk and rewrite plagiarism.  Where have all the American tech companies gone with their $800 to $3,000 projects?

There really is no other freelance site out there with any traffic except that one in Australia.  And I would not bid there as I never bid on Australian jobs anyway because they pay Asian rates.

When you figure this out please write us back.

97K jobs available when I checked this morning and you can't find 1 ??

As for the Elance Clients...well I heard that the forums / Water Cooler, at Elance trashed Upwork pretty good so I'm not sure why you thought they would come here. 

I think some bit off their nose to spite their face Smiley Happy

walkerrowe
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
7 of 32

There are 97,000 jobs but not all of those are related to what I do.  I have learned from doing this for 4 years that having no work is better than picking the wrong work.  So it must fit all of this:

1) be in the writing category

2) be related to IT

3) no SEO (which is something that does not really exist)

4) pays USA rates (you can tell who not to bid on if they says things like "urgent" or "your document wil be checked by copyscape for plagiarism")

5) preferably from the USA as the USA pays the best rates.  Israel, the UK, Russia, and a few other markets are good.  I avoid Asia completely because or problems I have had with clients and they don't pay good rates.

6) doesn't contain any red flags that telling you this client would be a problem like: spelling errors in their proposal or an overly rigid and exhaustive set of instructions.  You can just tell by how they write whether this would be a project with no end.

7) look for other signs that the client is a business with a budget and clear business goals

So yes, so much of what is on Upwork does not fit the bill.  eLance had better projects.  I know the oDesk people will never understand that because they never worked on eLance.

So where did those people go?  The best projects I found this month were pitching publications in my field and repeat work from high paying websites that I did not find on eLance or Upwork.  Other than that repeat work from eLance continues to keep me coming. All of the Upwork projects I have found are $60 article writing, which is what I need, but they just don't come as fast as they did on eLance.  And those $1,000 jobs are almost nowhere to be seen.

jsutherland
Community Guru
8 of 32

@walker R wrote:

Other than that repeat work from eLance continues to keep me coming. All of the Upwork projects I have found are $60 article writing, which is what I need, but they just don't come as fast as they did on eLance.  And those $1,000 jobs are almost nowhere to be seen.

Well like I said above. You guys trashed this site so I'm not sure why you expected the clients to move here. Then you moved over here and seem surprised at what you're getting. A lot of "possible" clients have also read things the Elance people said and are now probably very leary of coming here thanks to that. I guess you'll have to do some searching to find out where they went.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 32

"Well like I said above. You guys trashed this site so I'm not sure why you expected the clients to move here. "

lol Jean and I don't agree on  much, but this is so true. Complain that there is no work, but talk about how awful it is to clients. Not the brightest bulbs.

Anyway, I can think off the top of my head that 3 of my current open contracts are Elancers. I've actually run into quite a few clients from Elance on here. Luckily, all the rage facers didn't affect everyone.

jsutherland
Community Guru
10 of 32

@Jennifer M wrote:

"Well like I said above. You guys trashed this site so I'm not sure why you expected the clients to move here. "

lol Jean and I don't agree on  much, but this is so true. Complain that there is no work, but talk about how awful it is to clients. Not the brightest bulbs.

Anyway, I can think off the top of my head that 3 of my current open contracts are Elancers. I've actually run into quite a few clients from Elance on here. Luckily, all the rage facers didn't affect everyone.

I admire you for the way you handled the move Jennifer. You came here and dived / doved ? right in LOL. You learned the rules of the platform and explored the interface. You took every challenge and faced it head on and didn't whine and complain about every little thing,  and I expect you'll be the type that comes out on top. Michael is another one that comes to mind. Class acts.

The ones who come over here and whine about every little nit picking thing they can think of don't stand a chance. They're still focused on biting the hand that feeds them and they don't have a hope in "heck" of making it here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS