cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is justice?

I have 5 jobs done with 5/5 great feedback. I didn't have job without receiving money or account holds. BUT
I finally received my JSS score 2 days ago. And it was 70% (not 100%, not 99%, not even 93.4789%, BUT 70%).

I tried to get answer from support the last 2 days, how is it possible? And didn`t get answer for me. The answers was something like:
- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- Jobs with no earnings or no feedback become counted in your score, either because they were closed or because several months have passed since you received a payment.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score’s time frame.

I knew it. I read a lot about JSS before writing in support.
I don't want only to know how it happened. I want to fix back my JSS. And here is my main question. How to do it without nerves?

I took jobs here with too low bids. And when I finally got them, suddenly I got 70%. There weren't works with not satisfied clients, there weren`t mistakes. All jobs were done clear and fast.

The only cause of receiving so low JSS is private feedbacks. BUT...

Is it fair to got public 5/5 stars, but so low private feedbacks that JSS was decreased to 70?

Of course, the life is not fair, and there are a lot of people, who during face to face conversation(public feedback) speak other, but behind the back(private feedback) other things. But we aren`t in full reality. This is virtual platform, which were made by other people, and the justice here must be more, because everybody pay 20% of earns to creators of this platform.

I want to understand the logics of this. Is it right to let people give 5 stars publicly, but -30(%) privately. Is there really no way to control this part of giving rate? (the easiest way is "if -> then, else -> then". EX. if high rate publicly, you can`t give lowest rate privately).

And finally, why I wrote here. Please, help me to get answers:
How I can to talk with support for getting the right answers to my questions and not getting something like: "You can read how we calculating JSS".
Is there any way to get change of JSS?(not something like: work hard and get new jobs for increasing JSS).

Best Regards, Samvel.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

15 REPLIES 15
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Samvel,

I understand your frustration regarding your Job Success Score. I checked and it looks like our Support team already provided all the information we can share regarding your score and advice on how to increase it. I understand this isn't what you are looking for but the only way to improve your score is by successfully completing more contracts and receiving feedback.

Untitled

I see. So, the only way is to be patient, don`t remember past and go to unclouded future?

What is cause of so poor JSS?

@Samvel A wrote:

I see. So, the only way is to be patient, don`t remember past and go to unclouded future?

What is cause of so poor JSS?

Samvel, no one is going to tell you the cause. Private feedback is a big secret.

I will tell you this. You should correct your profile. Your English is not "fluent", not even close. So perhaps that is one of the things dinging your private feedback. If a client hires you expecting to be communicating with someone whose English is fluent, they're going to be very disappointed. Don't lie on your profile.

I will tell you this. You should correct your profile. Your English is not "fluent", not even close. So perhaps that is one of the things dinging your private feedback. If a client hires you expecting to be communicating with someone whose English is fluent, they're going to be very disappointed. Don't lie on your profile.

Oh, thanks for that. I didn't review that parts of my profile. For that case you're right. I had saw it and changed before.(I`m going to close my profile, but this isn't important)

But, is it really cause of getting 70%, when I got 5/5 stars for every past work? My english is bad and I told it in my post. If my memory does not fail, client(freelancer) can give 1 star for communication publicly. Do you really think, that somebody afraid of giving low rate publicly?

ODesk gave people to be no fair with privat feedback. They can say "great" publicly and "horribly" privatly. Because nobody control that aspect. Is it hard to make some changes in feedback system? EX. "If you gave 5 star for communication publicly, you can`t give -100 for it privatly".

Or, if there is some problem with it(my case), gave the articaluted answer, why it happened?

Sasmvel, since you've read alot regarding JSS, you evidently know "it is what it is"---unfortunately...

Samvel, since you've read alot regarding JSS, you evidently know "it is what it is"---unfortunately...

Yes, you're right. Unfortunately, it's some strange secret, which doesn't let freelancer to know what is problem and how to fix it.

If support can't give freelancer, what was in privat feedback, freelancer can't work on his mistake and fix it for future works and clients. So, it make impossible to anyone to try find out right solution, which may occured during working.

It's fully wrong. And I can guess, that there would't be anyone who can say, that this is right  

Samvel, supposedly the major reason regarding the secrecy is so that Freelancers aren't able to "game" the system and skew the results.  I'm not saying that I agree with it but just sharing the information to hopefully be of help to you.

@Pat M wrote:

Samvel, supposedly the major reason regarding the secrecy is so that Freelancers aren't able to "game" the system and skew the results.  I'm not saying that I agree with it but just sharing the information to hopefully be of help to you.

Yes, you're right. There can be people, who tryed to cheat.

But from other side of clients and freelancers are a big team(Upwork support, development team, managment team etc.). When you try to build wheel and it don't work as supposed, you must to try other way for creating. That's I'm trying to say. If platform can't maintain a balance of something, than they go wrong way(I saw hundreds dissatisfied

post about badges, JSS. maybe thousands was posted).

The score is calculated by the same method for everyone who is a freelancer at Upwork.

That seems just and fair to me.

That seems just and fair to me.

If fair for you is that somebody told you "You are working great", but from the back trying to bump you and told to other "He is a very bad worker", than I can't agree with you.

If it happens with everyone, it's not necessary be justice.

@Samvel A wrote:

....Do you really think, that somebody afraid of giving low rate publicly? 

Samvel,

It's not a question of what anyone thinks. Upwork has published data showing that the star ratings were rising in a hyperbolic (!) curve, approaching near universality at the upper limit of 5. In short, they had become a useless metric.

Best,

Michael

Samvel, in a way, and in one respect, I think a number of us do agree with you. It is difficult for people to improve when they don't know where they failed.

Some things, such as lying about being able to do a job but bidding on and winning it and then not being able to do it is obvious. Or at least it should be.  I studied French and Spanish ... but I am no more a translator than I am a bio-engineer or a mathematician. Providers who commit these kinds of frauds (and to me, that is what it really comes down to) deserve to be demoted for lack of a better term.

Other things - as an example - "I just didn't like his/her art work" are too vague, too personal, and too hard to document. Perhaps it means the buyer didn't like the color purple but approved it for his logo.

That said, U. is not going to alter the methodoolgy behind their metrics so everyone must live with it.

You DO understand that your profile has to be 100% original, right?  You can't copy and paste from other profiles.

"Till date, I have created over 15 websites", I wonder if those 15 websites are the same ones that Sergei, Taras, Farhad, Rajib and others have created, since all those people share parts of their overview with our friend, Samvel. So maybe they share the same websites.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Annnd sometimes the JSS gets it right.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS