🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Where's the money?
Page options
adam_barek
Community Member

Where's the money?

Where does the money go when my clients release milestones/payments?

I opened a new contract to create a website for a client, the client released a milestone of $200 but the balance isn't displaying anywhere on my account. Additionally when I check the milestone status it shows that it was paid for/released.

Is there a delay time for the balance to show on my account? And if so, why is that?

I don't understand why UpWork would withhold funds from the freelancers.

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Adam B wrote:

Where does the money go when my clients release milestones/payments?

I opened a new contract to create a website for a client, the client released a milestone of $200 but the balance isn't displaying anywhere on my account. Additionally when I check the milestone status it shows that it was paid for/released.

Is there a delay time for the balance to show on my account? And if so, why is that?

I don't understand why UpWork would withhold funds from the freelancers.

Them's the rules.

No need to care?

michael_skaggs
Community Member

From https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

Security Period

The security period applies to all payments and refunds on all contracts. It gives Upwork time to process and clear the payments, and resolve any disputes before funds are released to freelancers.

All manual payments, including milestones and bonuses, become available 5 days after the payment is successfully processed. A little cheat sheet:

• Processed Monday — Available Saturday
  • Processed Tuesday — Available Sunday
  • Processed Wednesday — Available Monday
  • Processed Thursday — Available Tuesday
  • Processed Friday — Available Wednesday
  • Processed Saturday — Available Thursday
  • Processed Sunday — Available Friday
mtngigi
Community Member

Look under the "Report" menu on your account page. Everything financial can be found there. Once a milestone is released, there is a 5-day hold period.

The transaction history will show the date when your money moves from "pending" to available to withdraw.

tlsanders
Community Member

On a side note, this type of lack of understanding of how Upwork works from someone who has jumped right in is common to people who come to the forums looking for help with situations that are unfixable--often after they've invested a lot of time on a job they'll never be paid for, or even violated TOS and put their accounts at risk.

If you plan to continue working here, you should probably read up on the rules and processes.

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

Tiffany S wrote:

On a side note, this type of lack of understanding of how Upwork works from someone who has jumped right in is common to people who come to the forums looking for help with situations that are unfixable--often after they've invested a lot of time on a job they'll never be paid for, or even violated TOS and put their accounts at risk.

If you plan to continue working here, you should probably read up on the rules and processes.

Remember the "Human Cent-iPad" episode of South Park? There's one line that always stuck out to me, and so many of these types remind me of it: "Why won't you REEEAAAAAD?!?!"

Michael S wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Remember the "Human Cent-iPad" episode of South Park? There's one line that always stuck out to me, and so many of these types remind me of it: "Why won't you REEEAAAAAD?!?!"

Well, in all fairness, I know there's a 5-day waiting period, but for some reason today I couldn't find the screen where it shows that it's "pending" so I was concerned that there had been a glitch.  And then UpWork pages kept timing out on me (not due to my connection - had no problem connecting to any other site). Finally I got the page to load and saw it in the pending section, which is all I wanted to do - confirm it was pending. It's possible the OP is aware of the ToS, but, like me, was having trouble accessing some pages on the site temporarily. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths