cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find overtime work hours for the past weeks?

Ma Victoria A Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
1 of 8

It is my third time to go beyond my weekly limit and I still lots of research to do for my client. This is my first client so I did not much bother to tell that I overtime for him. Can I get view the total number of overtime work I did for this particular contract because I will just let him know it. He does not much take a look at my work diary. Can you please help me on where to find the total overtime for this contract? Thanks

Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
2 of 8

I can't provide the answer to your question; perhaps someone else can.

However, I strongly suggest that you let you client know about overtime as you accumulate it (or even as you approach your weekly limit). Suddenly telling a client that he owes you for 3 weeks of overtime is like asking for trouble.

The client could get upset, he may be unwilling to pay or he may end your contract with bad feedback and a low rating, which will make it difficult for you to get any clients after this one.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 8

@Ma Victoria A wrote:

It is my third time to go beyond my weekly limit and I still lots of research to do for my client. This is my first client so I did not much bother to tell that I overtime for him. Can I get view the total number of overtime work I did for this particular contract because I will just let him know it. He does not much take a look at my work diary. Can you please help me on where to find the total overtime for this contract? Thanks

Simply go to the work diary of last day of the week during which you worked over the weekly limit - it tells you on there.

Ideally just get your client to raise your weekly limit...

overtime.jpg

Chaskin S Member Since: May 14, 2019
4 of 8

@Petra

This only shows you the overtime hours that you accrued during the last day of the week.  It does not show you your total overtime hours for the week that you worked.  It would be nice if upwork provided a view of overtime at a weekly level so that no one needs to dig through each day manually.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

Chaskin S wrote:

@Petra

This only shows you the overtime hours that you accrued during the last day of the week.  It does not show you your total overtime hours for the week that you worked.  It would be nice if upwork provided a view of overtime at a weekly level so that no one needs to dig through each day manually.

That makes no sense.... Why would anyone in their right mind keep going for several DAYS beyond their weekly limit knowing that they will only get paid if the client just so happens to feel like it, given that clients are not billed or charged for such time?

Just get the client to raise the weekly limit and be done with it.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Ma Victoria,

Petra already shared all the details so you can follow up with your client. Let us know if you need further advice.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

There are essentially 3 options:

- Get the client to increase the maximum number of hours that can be worked per week.

- Stop working, until the new week starts over.

- Continue working past the maximum hours limit, knowing that the client is not obligated to pay for those "overtime" hours.

Personally, I have done all three.

All three are valid and allowed by Upwork.

But keep in mind that the third option is not recommended. I typically only do this if I'm really close to finishing something, and I'm more interested in just finishing it than guaranteeing that I get paid for the additional time.

If you do run out of time, and a client is waiting for you to finish something, then if you decide to stop until you have more time, the courteous thing to do is to inform the client about what happened. Clients will often be very willing to increase your number of hours per week, esp. if they have already seen the results of your work and value what you're doing on their behalf.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 8

I may be totally misunderstanding, since no one else responding seems to have come away with the same impression, but it didn't sound to me like OP was planning to bill the client for those extra hours.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS