cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which language pair does the client actually want?

amt17
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
1 of 9

I see this kind of job listing again and again and again. It has been brought to Upwork's attention in previous posts here in the community but nothing seems to actually be done about it. This time I flagged the job post - not surprisingly to no avail.

It is obvious from the job listing that the client doesn't want both language pairs, but it's impossible to tell which language pair the client does want.

which-language-pair.jpg

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 9

@Annette E wrote:

I see this kind of job listing again and again and again. It has been brought to Upwork's attention in previous posts here in the community but nothing seems to actually be done about it. This time I flagged the job post - not surprisingly to no avail.

It is obvious from the job listing that the client doesn't want both language pairs, but it's impossible to tell which language pair the client does want.

which-language-pair.jpg

This seems quite clear to me and the prepositions from/to are correct. The client wants someone to translate an English text into Danish.

English is the source language and Danish the target language. One could assume that the translator would be a native Danish speaker and absolutely fluent in English.  The client wants the Danish>English language pair. 

amt17
Community Guru
3 of 9

Should I disregard the "skills and expertise" portion of the job listing then?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 9

@Annette E wrote:

Yes, chances are they are left-overs from a previous job the client posted.

amt17
Community Guru
5 of 9

And here I thought it was the other way around...

Thank you, you two! Smiley Happy

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
6 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

@Annette E wrote:

Hi Petra. Are you saying that clients can use an old job post as a template for a new one? That would explain some of the inappropriate listed skills that I see.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 9

@Richard W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Annette E wrote:

Hi Petra. Are you saying that clients can use an old job post as a template for a new one? That would explain some of the inappropriate listed skills that I see.

I know you are addressing Petra, but, I'm going to add my $0.02.  If freelancers send copy/paste proposals, why shouldn't clients do this?. Or it  could just be that a client has not paid attention to the language pair.It is annoying if inappropriate skills are listed, but If I have been invited to a job that is appropriate, but with a couple of contradictory requirements, I will ask about it rather than dismissing it out of hand. If I haven't been invited, and the the job is interesting enough, despite the ambiguous tags, I will send a proposal. Some of these jobs have resulted in further work and have been quite well paid. 

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 9

I never apply to these jobs, because the client, at least, is very sloppy. I flag them for vague description. 

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
9 of 9

@Martina P wrote:

I never apply to these jobs, because the client, at least, is very sloppy. I flag them for vague description. 

I don't apply either. It really gives me the feeling the client is completely unprofessional. If he can't even bother to write a job offer correctly, that's a very bad omen!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS