cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Else Wonders What It Takes to Get C.S. to Actually Read the Tickets?

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
1 of 45

This evening, I sent in two tickets to C.S. 

I shouldn't have had to send in any tickets at all. It should have been enough to flag the offending job postings. However, there is no category for: "Client is offering 5-star feedback within the job posting." 

When I opened the first ticket, I explained that I was only sending in the ticket because there is no appropriate "flagging category" for this type of ToS violation.  I included the specific link to the offending job post.

A few minutes later, I discovered that there was a second job posting (listed about two hours prior to the first one that I had just reported), a duplicate of the job for which I had just sent in a ticket. So, I opened another ticket. In this second ticket, I explained (again) that there is no appropriate flagging mechanism for this ToS violation. I included the specific link to this second offending job post.

What response did I receive from Customer Support?

I should have guessed what would happen.

Instead of investigating my second report, this is what happened:

CUSTOMER SUPPORT SENT ME A NOTE SCOLDING ME FOR OPENING WHAT THE C.S. AGENT REFERRED TO AS A "DUPLICATE TICKET" !!! C.S said to me that he noticed that I "already" had "another ticket open for this same issue." He closed my "duplicate ticket."

NO!!!! C.S.!!! Read the %$#^@ ticket that I sent! It is not my ticket that is a duplicate! It is the OFFENDING JOB POST that is a duplicate!  I sent in two separate tickets because there are two separate (but equally "in-violation") job postings!  

**edited for Community Guidelines**--is it much wonder that so many of us give up on flagging violations?

mabelpadilla
Mabel P Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
2 of 45

It is frustrating. Recently my account was suspended because apparently they linked my acc with a friends who has a pending balance, it took me like 3 weeks for it to get solved. First person asked me the relationship with this person, after that it all came to why this, why that, verify all over my account and after almost 15days when I thought it was over another person sends me a message asking..Can you explain your relationship with this person?  So frustating, I feel like they didnt read the whole thing and I had to start all over again.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 45

Hi Janean, 

I checked the reports you made.One reason why this was merged was because they were related, and it would help to merge the tickets when investigating the issue. I would like to share that the Customer Support staff who has taken your ticket took note of both job posts you shared. And both job posts were reported to the team. 

Please be mindful of the words or comments you use when describing your experience with the Upwork staff or employees. We have guidelines that needs to be followed when posting in the community. 

~ Avery
Upwork
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
4 of 45

@Avery --

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It is fine and well and good to MERGE the tickets. That makes sense. But it seems to me that C.S. should not then send me a scolding note telling me that my second ticket is a "duplicate" and reminding me of the "importance" of keeping everything "consolidated" within a single ticket. One can surely understand how such a response  from C.S. is simultaneously discouraging and infuriating. And not only did I take their response as scolding, but, further, its cookie-cutter wording also led me (quite rationally) to infer that C.S. was simply "junking" my second ticket. They said nothing about "merging" tickets; rather, they tsk-tsked about my sending in more tickets than necessary and indicated that they were closing the second ticket. 

Update on these two jobs, by the way -- the jobs apparently are not in violation of ToS. (This from C.S.) I take it that it conforms with ToS to post a job that offers $12 (in one case; $10 for the second job) for a 2500-word writing piece (well, of course THAT part is okay, if hopelessly cheap), and to include the statement/offer that someone should be "interested" in completing this job for the bid price and five-star feedback. (By the way, the phrase "interested in getting some feedback" is part of the job's headline, per se.)

Sure, I guess as long as the fig leaf is in place... It's all in the wording, isn't it? I mean, we're all "interested" in completing jobs for the bid price and five-star feedback, I guess. When you put it that way, the two jobs don't violate ToS. Technically. The client is offering $12 [$10], after all. I suppose that the mention of 5-star feedback is a negligible and incidental component of the job posting and should not in any way be construed as an offset to the absurdly low cash compensation offered. Mea culpa.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 45

@Janean L wrote:

@Avery --

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It is fine and well and good to MERGE the tickets. That makes sense. But it seems to me that C.S. should not then send me a scolding note telling me that my second ticket is a "duplicate" and reminding me of the "importance" of keeping everything "consolidated" within a single ticket. One can surely understand how such a response  from C.S. is simultaneously discouraging and infuriating. And not only did I take their response as scolding, but , further, its cookie-cutter wording also led me (quite rationally) to infer that C.S. was simply "junking" my second ticket. They said nothing about "merging" tickets; rather, they tsk-tsked about my sending in more tickets than necessary and indicated that they were closing the second ticket. 

Update on these two jobs, by the way -- the jobs apparently are not in violation of ToS. (This from C.S.) I take it that it conforms with ToS to post a job that offers $12 for a 2500-word writing piece (well, of course THAT part is okay, if hopelessly cheap), and to include the statement/offer that someone should be "interested" in completing this job for the bid price and five-star feedback.

Sure, I guess as long as the fig leaf is in place... It's all in the wording, isn't it? I mean, we're all "interested" in completing jobs for the bid price and five-star feedback, I guess. When you put it that way, the two jobs don't violate ToS. Technically. The client is offering $12, after all. I suppose that the mention of 5-star feedback is a negligible and incidental component of the job posting and should not in any way be construed as an offset to the absurdly low cash compensation offered. Mea culpa.

Hmm, well I didn't know that. I really thought offering a five star feedback for a really low paying project was against TOS also. I guess you learn something new every day.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 45

re: "I really thought offering a five star feedback for a really low paying project was against TOS also."

Feedback manipulation is against Upwork ToS.

This includes offering any kind of star feedback as part of a job posting.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
7 of 45

@ Katrina & @ Preston --

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to copy-and-paste here from the job offer, nor from C.S.'s response to my ticket[s]. However, the response that I received from C.S. quite definitely included the phrase "does not include any violation" and the C.S. response invited me to contact them again should I have what they referred to as "proof" of a violation.

I believe that my use of the word "fig leaf" is accurate, here.

Frustrating.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 45

@Janean L wrote:

@ Katrina & @ Preston --

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to copy-and-paste here from the job offer, nor from C.S.'s response to my ticket[s]. However, the response that I received from C.S. quite definitely included the phrase "does not include any violation" and the C.S. response invited me to contact them again should I have what they referred to as "proof" of a violation.

I believe that my use of the word "fig leaf" is accurate, here.

Frustrating.

I really hope a mod will chime in soon because all three of us have been here a while and are under the impression that this is a violation. So there has to be more freelancers under the same impression.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 45

Hi All,

The jobs Janean reported were reviewed and they are not in violation of Upwork Terms of Use. It's not a violation for clients to mention in a job post that they'll be willing to provide positive feedback on the contract.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
10 of 45

@ Valeria --

Even if the totality of the circumstances  strongly suggests that the "positive" feed back will be not just "positive" but "five-star" and that this feedback will be offered in lieu of cash compensation?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS