cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who customarily ends a contract?

kschmir
Klaus S Member Since: Aug 15, 2013
1 of 16
Hi, I'm fairly new here, with one open-ended contract, one fixed price project and two small two hourly jobs under my belt. So far, I attached my work to a message with some comments when I was done, got feedback and ended the contract as "successfully completed". But I'm still waiting for feedback for one of the small jobs that seemed super urgent on Friday, despite some real need for clarifications. Should I wait for the client to close it? Does he even have the ability to do that, or is closing a job the official to tell the system that I'm done?
asajid
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
2 of 16
Hi Klaus, Both client and freelancer have the option to end a contract but it is always better to let the client do it. The reason is that once the client closes a contract, they are prompted to provide feedback and, in case of a fixed price job, to make an end payment if they want. This improves the chances of you receiving a payment/feedback whatever the case may be. Secondly, there are many cases where the client decides you can help them with more stuff, similar work or something else that they might think you are suitable for. So letting the client end the contract is a better option. Lastly, as a professional, it's always a good idea to let the client see the work and give you a final approval before you close a contract. So again, it makes more sense to let them end the contract instead. Hope this helps...
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
3 of 16
What the mod forgot to tell you is that if you close a fixed-price contract, your essentially forfeiting payment, so don't do it! [quote=Ayesha Sadaf Kamal]If you close a contract from your side that means you forfeit payment as well. So don't close the contract from your side. The client should pay you once the work is complete and they are happy with the end result. For a fixed price contract, they need to go to the contract page and make a payment manually from there.[/quote]
asajid
4 of 16
Hi Krisztina, This isn't true anymore, there used to be a pop-up that you are forfeiting payment when ending a fixed price contract from the freelancer's end, but that changed a while back, that's why I didn't mention it 🙂
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
kschmir
Klaus S Member Since: Aug 15, 2013
5 of 16
Luckily in the two cases where I closed the contract, it didn't lead to problems, although I only got feedback on the first job. I may ask the client for a rating directly, he seemed nice enough. Ending the contract feels feels like cleaning up after yourself when the job is done. Of course, when there is a possibility of more jobs (and the client does have a large team of contractors), I'll suffer these loose ends lying around.
asajid
6 of 16
You are welcome, glad I could help! The client can leave feedback for you within 14 days of closing the contract. If more time has passed, then you'll need to first talk to your client and if they are willing to leave you a feedback, go to your contract details page and click the link that says Enable client to change feedback. That send an email to the client to change feedback, which in your case will be the first feedback for that contract :) Hope this helps!
andrewaj
Andrew J Member Since: Nov 11, 2013
7 of 16
Hello Ayesha, I'm here seeking your help with an Odesk experience. I'm a graphic designer and I've been working for a client who first gave me a project to design logos. Once that was done the client paid me $27 dollars as a bonus and asked me to continue designing graphics for him. Since then I did banners, twitter covers and a flyer for him during which he'd disappear in the middle of our conversation and wouldn't approve my design. I haven't been paid for the latter and since the earlier payment was a bonus, the contract has not ended. Now the client says he doesn't need my help anymore. Should I end the contract? If I do, the client might leave negative feedback for me which'll destroy my chances of landing jobs in Odesk. What should I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.
e_gan
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
8 of 16
A friend had a similar case but was paid for most of his design work. The contract was left open for 1 week thus he sent her a message reminder note to close contract as successfully completed. Thankfully she responded as she was overseas and left him a positive feedback. You can report your problem to oDesk support under disputes and they can assist in sending your client a reminder email which they did for my first client, turned out positive. Good luck.
sanjaykumar2338
Sanjay K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
9 of 16

Hi,
Suppose a freelancer ended a contract but later discussin with
client. The freelancer ready to work on that project. but there is
no contract. So my question is, it is possible to client to pay
for a freelancer account.

Thanks.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 16

@Sanjay K wrote:

Hi,
Suppose a freelancer ended a contract but later discussin with
client. The freelancer ready to work on that project. but there is
no contract. So my question is, it is possible to client to pay
for a freelancer account.

Thanks.

The client has to hire the freelancer again, OR submit a bonus payment on the ended contract.

But it is better to hire so there is an active contract

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS