cara_noble

Who do I pay my taxes to?

I am a freelancer, currently living in the Dominican Republic, working for an Austrailian company but a British citizen. Who do I pay my taxes to and how? I am new to this. I am on a low wage so not even sure I need to pay taxes.

9 REPLIES 9
lysis10

Don't they have tax people there you can ask? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cara,

You are responsible for reporting your Upwork income to your local tax authorities. We won't be able to advise you on details but you can talk to a local tax adviser to get more information.

Also, see this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I spoke with HMRC (UK tax office) and they informed me that since I am not receiving my income from the UK, I do not have to do declare my taxes to them. So question is now, which country do I declare them to?

@Cara N wrote:

Hi Valeria,

I spoke with HMRC (UK tax office) and they informed me that since I am not receiving my income from the UK, I do not have to do declare my taxes to them. So question is now, which country do I declare them to?

If you are living in the Dominican Republic, and if you have the right to work there as a freelancer, then presumably they have their own tax system: http://www.drlawyer.com/taxation-dominican-republic/

It is so easy to Google this stuff.

fatig

You always pay in the country you're living in, unless you're there for a short period of time only.

How much and how to do it in general - you need to google Dominican Republic's rules. 

@Iga F wrote:

You always pay in the country you're living in, unless you're there for a short period of time only.

How much and how to do it in general - you need to google Dominican Republic's rules. 

Which is why I sent that link to the OP.

In some countries, even if it is only for a short period of time, it is illegal for a non-resident to work as a freelancer.

And ex-pat Americans often  have to pay US taxes on top of the taxes in the country where they reside.  A good tax advisor is invaluable.

True, it really depends on a country. Though technically you could pay taxes to your home country if you're not a citizen in the one you're currently living in, but I see no eprsk of that?

In Poland you get double-taxed if you worked abroad for less than x days (don't remember how many atm), so it's something everyone has to figure out on their own.

It is  a very cloudy area. If I have a four-week job with a client which I start in France and finish in Canada (where I am not allowed to work), I will pay my tax on this job in France, where I am resident and I  am certainly not going to inform the Canadian authorities that I am "working" on their soil.