cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate that one as well.

Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
1 of 9
Maybe this isn't a new question on here, but I always hate when a client asks what I think will take the most time? How could you accurately answer this questions unless in the job description they have posted ALL the information that I'll need to complete the job. Most of the time all you have to go off of is some vague "I want this" description. Are clients' really basing their decision off this questions> I can't image it would be easy to do so because I doubt any of us are coming with similar responses. Why does oDesk have this questions. It's terrible.
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
2 of 9
Sometimes I'm tempted to answer "lighting my ciggies" but feel that might be inappropriate.
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
3 of 9
The last time I posted a job I noticed that those questions were just automatically there and the client (me) had to manually remove them. So oDesk in their infinite wisdom of trying to "help" has again just made things worse. Clients probably are not even noticing those questions and just post the job. As a contractor I usually just answer "There is not enough information in the job description to answer this question. I will be glad to answer it once I am provided more information." Chances are that the clients do not even know they are asking these questions when they post the job. YAY oDesk, you made things worse again.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 9
When I apply to jobs, I always reply "the project interview" as the most time consuming part of the process. As a client, I never use those pre-filled questions, and honestly, they are impossible to miss, so if you have a client who is too lazy to look, then they might be too lazy to pay on time as well. Personally, I remove all the pre-filled questions (there are only 2 automatically), and I also remove the coverletter option. Instead I put in very specific questions that I will need answered, in this way, not only do I get to pre-screen applicants without sending them a message, but it also allows contractors that apply to find out more about the project before they bid based on the questions.
Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 9
I hate that one as well. With editing, it can be hard to break the job into specific parts. It's all done at the same time as I go through the manuscript. I typically just write that the first edit will take the longest time. I also hate the question "Why did you apply for this job?" That has to be one of the silliest questions there. I'm tempted to write "I'm applying because I want your money!" but I haven't yet.
Ace Contributor
Pat P Member Since: Nov 26, 2013
6 of 9
Hey David, I hate this questions only when I have to fake it. I think this question can be beneficial though. For instance, I have a lot of experience in the automotive category. So if I ever see a job posting that is auto related, or a parallel category (something that is also a high-involvement purchase like a home remolding, or home appliance company" I'll write. "I applied to this job because I have deep category experience in the automotive category" or "I have deep category experience working products that are high-involvement purchase" If I do not have any experience I'll write something like "I feel that this would be a great portfolio piece" I might word it a bit different but basically I'm trying to say I'm going to put in extra effort for you.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
7 of 9
I hate when I take the time to craft very specific questions, but contractors just paste their coverletters in those boxs without actually answering the question that was put forward. Just today I had a guy do that, I declined his application, but I took the time to explain that I did not want a coverletter, which is why I removed the option and placed a question instead, which he did not answer. The NASTY reply I got back was amazing, I mean really. To top it off, he said that he doesnt even DO the work that I had posted, I am so curious as to why the hell he applied if he doesnt do the work required o.O
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
8 of 9
Make sure to flag his application as spam and send a ticket with a screenshot of his replies. He would have a very difficult time applying for anything without getting hidden after that.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
9 of 9
The best question is: "Why did you applied for this job?" Previously I would answer honestly: "I need money." but noticed this isn't going to work. So I changed my answer to more politely: "I need to make a living." But that sound too desperate. So, I'm answering now: "I like creative work." Although it's true and I do like creative work I apply for jobs mostly to be able to pay the rent, food, etc. I feel disgusted to be forced to dishonestly answer to those stupid, generic questions.