🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Who's tired of endless proposals below yo...
Page options
tomzilla1
Community Member

Who's tired of endless proposals below your profile rate?

I'm really tired of endless proposals below my profile rate. If I say it's $40, don't send me proposals from people who say their budget is $15/hr! Anybody else been going through this?

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

I don't blame you if you are annoyed by this.

Clearly there is room for improvement.

But: Isn't the "worst case scenario" that you simply scan the job post quickly and if the budget is too low, you click the "delete" or "decline" button?

Well. I don't mind declining 1 or 2, or 3, but... Some days I get like 15 invites...... So yea...

undefined:

Well. I don't mind declining 1 or 2, or 3, but... Some days I get like 15 invites...... So yea...

On average you get 1.3 a day, so sure, it's irritating, and on the "15 a day" days it is probably REALLY irritating, but on average it's probably one of the less deeply troubling things on Upwork?

re: "Well. I don't mind declining 1 or 2, or 3, but... Some days I get like 15 invites...."

That IS a lot. I have certainly never experienced that volume of invites.

And it provides some context for your original post.

wescowley
Community Member

No, it doesn't bother me at all.  I either ignore them (or decline if it's an invite) or, if it seems like there's a chance of flexibility, I bid my rate and see what happens.

But if you ignore it, your response times will be impacted.

richardsmith94
Community Member

Tom Z wrote:

I'm really tired of endless proposals below my profile rate. If I say it's $40, don't send me proposals from people who say their budget is $15/hr! Anybody else been going through this?

I'm just tired of people who complain, constantly.

Don't sweat it Rich, you're still very new to this platform. I'm tired of new comers who contribute nothing to the discussion.

Tom Z wrote:

Don't sweat it Rich, you're still very new to this platform. I'm tired of new comers who contribute nothing to the discussion.

No sweat Tom - everything is going great. Maybe being new to the site rather than tired and cynical about it has its advantages.

You don't discuss by the way, you complain about things period, with no suggestions or thought as to how things could be improved, and then hope that others agree with you.

If you want a constructive discussion, make a constructive point.

tlsanders
Community Member

Sometimes, clients just don't pay attention. But, one reason this happens is that it's super common for freelancers' posted profile rates to be outlandish lies. 

I've received proposals from freelancers with $80/hour on their profiles who are bidding $12/hour. And, if you scroll through actual jobs accepted, you'll often see freelancers regularly working at a fraction of their profile rates.

I reread what you wrote 3 times and still don't know what you're saying... Why would a freelancer lie about their rate? They wouldn't get any jobs that way.

You can either decline (which takes half a second), or place a bid explaining why you're worth a higher rate.

People who get few (or no) invitations are unlikely to be sympathetic to this "problem". Personally, I consider myself to be very fortunate in receiving enough invitations to make bidding seldom necessary.

Tom Z wrote:

I reread what you wrote 3 times and still don't know what you're saying... Why would a freelancer lie about their rate? They wouldn't get any jobs that way.

That's obviously not true, since many freelancers whose profile rates are lies have a lot of completed jobs--they're just jobs completed at much, much lower rates than they're claiming...just like I described: a freelancer's profile rate is $80/hour, but that freelancer sends me a proposal offering to work for $12/hour. 

I've seen quite a lot of profiles like this. I don't mean with actual rates slightly lower, like they negotiated or recently raised their rates. I'm talking about a profile rate of $65/hour, but there are 25 jobs on the profile and the highest rate they've ever been paid was $17/hour.

I see... I wonder what is the point of doing that though. Like let's say their profile says $80 -- wouldn't that mean they get much fewer offers? Assuming $80 is pretty high in that field? I saw a few people in my field charging $150 to $300 an hour, while I can charge that too but in reality how many clients would be able to pay for that?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths