cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Applicant Should Pay For Fee From The Employer to Work?

Niki S Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
1 of 11

So far I know, the most in Indonesia, if you are jobseeker, then there is employer attracted to you then he would like to hire you, you don't need to pay fee (maybe training fees, software fees, administration fees, etc) and he won't request fee to you. But in this Upwork, I found one of employer wrote that there was joining fee. Why do I should pay? It is not study in school or university. If the situation like this, say,  my friend requested me to type his thesis in WPS Writer, what is your opinion? Who shhould pay for the help?

I am personally think my friend will pay for my help typing his thesis. If I should pay fee to him, that's weird. In friendship, if my friend doesn't pay my service, I would think it is OK, how about if I work for a client or in a company  but I don't get salary from my job? I maybe do resign and find a new job. What do you think about my story above?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 11

it's a scam

Highlighted
Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
3 of 11

I am not sure I understand your story. What seems to be the issue?

Highlighted
4 of 11

I applied job as "type book copy into Microsoft Word". I was sent email that include contract in attachment. But I saw there, there was joining fee (server fee) USD 60 (said that bank guarantee, L/C, BPO rules should charge fee for setup server software in PC).

Thank you for asking.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 11

@Niki S wrote:

I applied job as "type book copy into Microsoft Word"....

Niki,

On its face, this job sounds like theft and fraud (plagiarism). Such posts and invitations are common on Upwork.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

No, never.

If someone asks you for money to get started, or asks you to buy something before you start (even if they offer reimbursement), report the job and do not communicate with that client further.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
7 of 11

Thank you. If the job doesn't write joining fee USD xx or no cost. I had joined it.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 11

Hi Niki, 

As Jennifer, and Tiffany have confirmed, this is a scam that you should not get involved in. Asking freelancers to pay in exchange of work is a violation of the Upwork ToS. Please report this client via this link so that our team can take actions against the job post, and client acccount. 

Please stop communicating with this client, make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract which can be seen in the "My Jobs" section of your account, use Upwork Protection Programs, only accept to get paid through the platform and never pay in order to bid or be able to work on a job. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
9 of 11

Thank you. I had stopped it after I asked him about the fee, then he said removing contract and blablabla, finallt said "bye".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 11

We are working for ourselves here Niki. Smiley Happy 

I have clients not employers. The only way I'll be an employee is if I get benefits and paid vacation..oh and sick leave and personal leave and paid lunch breaks and overtime.... 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS