cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Are Freelancers Compelled To Provide Ratings When Ending A Contract?

jacked
Edelwaldo J Member Since: Nov 16, 2012
1 of 13
A client had become unresponsive after paying just half the agreed price on a fixed price contract. I tried to end the contract found no way of doing that without 'rating' the client publicly. The client had a high 4.98 star rating and that does not surprise me at all. Freelancers would rather just avoid problem clients rather than exchange .001 star ratings with them. This is because there is no way for oDesk to intervene whenever unjust or unfair ratings are given by either party. I would request oDesk for some form of protection, such as: a) not requiring us to rate clients - it can be done on voluntary basis. b) providing a way for freelancers to list clients they don't want to work for again, and warning them whenever they try to apply for jobs offered by those clients. I do my part in protecting oDesk from scams, even though I cannot understand why oDesk does not filter for words like 'paypal' or 'skrill' which are dead giveaways for people using oDesk only to find talent, but are not willing to pay the 10% fee. I hope oDesk does something to improve protection for freelancers like me.
junelle
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
2 of 13
i may be missing something, but i'm having difficulty understanding what you think is so bad about leaving feedback/rating after a contract has been closed. you can always avoid the problem client *after* you've left bad feedback. it wouldn't make a difference. oDesk isn't under any obligation to intervene in a contract that you and the client agreed on, if it's simply on the basis of "unfair ratings". it's a different story if it involves scam and fraud, of course. about your #2 suggestion, you should probably post that here. they'd just offered something similar so it might help.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
jacked
Edelwaldo J Member Since: Nov 16, 2012
3 of 13
I may not have explained it very well. My point is, by being compelled to leave ratings for a bad client, you can either: a) be honest and get exposed to a ratings war - (a bad rating in retaliation); or b) be dishonest and give a high rating to the bad client, thus enabling him or her to continue giving bad experiences to other freelancers. Thus I believe that there should be an option of not leaving any ratings at all.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 13
Feedback is double blind - your client can't see what you wrote until he leaves his own feedback. So there can be no war. Just be honest but fair -that's how you'll help your fellow freelancers
rayjbarrett
Raymond B Member Since: Mar 28, 2016
5 of 13

I have the same concern.  Won't the freelancer figure out who the rating is from when they see their over all rating change.  Won't it be easy to connect the dots?  I would prefer to end a contract with out leaving a rating.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

If you, as a freelancer, do not want to leave feedback ratings for a client, then when the project is complete, ask the client to close the contract.

Only the party that closes the contract must leave feedback.

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
7 of 13

Please don't be this afraid of clients. If you enjoyed working with them, you will probably give them a good rating. If you didn't enjoy working with them, you will probably give them a bad rating - and if you are sensible, never work with them again. So there really is no problem with being honest with your feedback. Like Stephen said, honesty helps your fellow freelancers.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 13

If you are not going to leave feedback for a client

then make sure you NEVER look at client feedback when deciding to apply to any more jobs.

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
9 of 13

I'm hoping Upwork will soon give freelancers more control over project management. That way, we won't have to ask clients to close the projects. We can close them ourselves, as we did on Elance.

jorgensons
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
10 of 13

Peter, you CAN close the contract. However, when you close it, you'll be asked to leave feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS