cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't Upwork Compel Clients to Respect Terms of a Contract?

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
11 of 42

A month isn't really a long time for a contract from start to finish Godwin, especially if the client has also been on vacation.  🙂  I would still try to follow up politely.  Wait a week or two and follow up with another message. It is very rare the client would be that negligent (or purposefully trying to get free work) if they have good ratings and active contracts.  Have you left them feedback?  Is the contract ended?  

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 42

@Godwin .U. E wrote:

I knew I was going to get beat up by posting this but I just prayed someone would look beyond my mistake and maybe, just maybe something would change.

I think the reason you're not getting what you're looking for is that the "change" you're looking for is neither necessary nor beneficial. You want a way to enforce contracts through Upwork? There is one. You chose not to use it. I'm not beating you up for that, just pointing out that Upwork already offers exactly the protection you're arguing should be available--but, it doesn't work if freelancers choose to circumvent it.

Upwork going further, to get in the middle of your contract, assess who was right and wrong and somehow force compliance would completely change the nature of the company. In addition to the fact that fees would have to increase dramatically to allow for the many additional staff members that type of model would require, most established freelancers would be no more happy to have non-subject-matter-experts at Upwork interjecting themselves into assessing contract terms and performance.

Thanks for being that one person John even though there's obviously no chance now anything will change.Apparently, the buck stops with the freelancer

Of course. As it does with any business owner.

and a client iis absolutely not answerable for any offence as long as there's no funded Milestone .

Unlike when you're freelancing off platform, Upwork has offered an EXTRA level of protection you would not have if you contracted directly. You are no worse off today than you would be if you'd contracted with this client outside the platform, and could have been better off if you'd chosen to be protected. 

enebeli-godwin
Godwin .U. E Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
13 of 42

Point taken. Difficult to argue against anything you've said even though I still wish clients answer as much as freelancers have to when they err. All in all, I've learnt my lesson and affliction perhaps shall not arise a second time. Thanks for your response.

amymortensen
Community Leader
14 of 42

Godwin,  

It is still possible the client might pay, particularly if the client is still active.  It is possible the client is just distracted with another big problem or something and hasn't had the time to review your work.  Most transactions here do go well, and clients are people with problems too.  I have only had one job truly go south in the 5  or 6 years I have been here and you learn from your mistakes.  

I also hear you on the getting beat up part.  I feel there are definitely some bullies when it comes to asking for help from the freelancer "community."   My profile is private too because I am also an academic and teacher and I don't want my students or my colleagues who have tenure to find my freelancing profile with a search online.  Some of us have good reasons to have a private profile.  It doesn't mean we are bad people.  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 42

@Amy M wrote:

Godwin,  

It is still possible the client might pay, particularly if the client is still active.  It is possible the client is just distracted with another big problem or something and hasn't had the time to review your work.  Most transactions here do go well, and clients are people with problems too.  I have only had one job truly go south in the 5  or 6 years I have been here and you learn from your mistakes.  

I also hear you on the getting beat up part.  I feel there are definitely some bullies when it comes to asking for help from the freelancer "community."   My profile is private too because I am also an academic and teacher and I don't want my students or my colleagues who have tenure to find my freelancing profile with a search online.  Some of us have good reasons to have a private profile.  It doesn't mean we are bad people.  

fyi: posting on the forum makes you searchable and then people who know you can find you on upwork if they really wanted to.

The only way I can see you being totally private is to set your profile as private and never post on the forum.

amymortensen
Community Leader
16 of 42

Yes, but setting to truly private then you never get invitations from new clients either.  Setting to only visible to upwork users still makes you appear to have a private profile in the forums.  Or at least that is how I understand it.  

tlsanders
Community Guru
17 of 42

@Amy M wrote:

Some of us have good reasons to have a private profile.  It doesn't mean we are bad people.  

In what bizarre parallel universe did someone suggest that having a profile set to private was an indication that someone was a "bad person"?

amymortensen
Community Leader
18 of 42

There is always usually some comment about how a profile is set to private by the regulars who comment here, and so the person who is asking for help must in some way be in the wrong, or not telling all sides of the story, or something to that effect.   

tlsanders
Community Guru
19 of 42

@Amy M wrote:

There is always usually some comment about how a profile is set to private by the regulars who comment here, and so the person who is asking for help must in some way be in the wrong, or not telling all sides of the story, or something to that effect.   

I'm sorry you've misinterpreted that so badly. (In fact, it's downright alarming in a teacher.)

The regulars often comment that because a person's profile is set to private, they are unable to see information that might allow them to offer insights. For example, when someone comes to the forums and says that their JSS dropped inexplicably, an experienced freelancer can often view the person's profile and identify the problem. Without the ability to access that data, it's impossible to make that assessment.

Freelancers who come with that type of problem usually AREN'T telling the whole story, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're hiding anything. They don't always understand which factors are relevant, which is why they come seeking explanations...explanations that more experienced freelancers can't offer without seeing their work histories.

amymortensen
Community Leader
20 of 42

Thanks Tiffany, and I see your point.  But why the personal jab at my teaching qualities?  See how there are insults and personal attacks in the comments from the regulars?  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS