cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't Upwork Compel Clients to Respect Terms of a Contract?

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
21 of 42

Some of the comments here seem to insinuate that for not knowing how escrow works already then to hell with us (non-regular, not all knowing freelancers).    The OP was trying to relate a problem that I am sure happens to many (who are maybe afraid to post because they will be dragged through the mud by the regulars).  Godwin doesn't know about escrow, but he knows he will get "beat up" for posting here, right?

e_luneborg
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
22 of 42

@Amy M wrote:

Some of the comments here seem to insinuate that for not knowing how escrow works already then to hell with us (non-regular, not all knowing freelancers).    The OP was trying to relate a problem that I am sure happens to many (who are maybe afraid to post because they will be dragged through the mud by the regulars).  Godwin doesn't know about escrow, but he knows he will get "beat up" for posting here, right?

Godwin knows how Escrow works, and he knows he created his own mess on this. If you check his profile you can see that he has worked/or are still working on plenty of fixed rate jobs.

Also, before starting to do work through a platform like Upwork all freelancers should make sure they know how the system works, and also read the terms of service which they agreed to when signing up. If you actually read the terms of service or rather go for the learning by doing method, doesn't matter. That's the freelancers choice, but they can't blaime Upwork for not fixing their issues when they choose to not use Upwork as it's ment to.

23 of 42

Eve, how can you see his profile to know how many fixed price jobs he has had already, if his profile is set to private?   

e_luneborg
Community Guru
24 of 42

The profile isn't private, it's just not public. You can still find him by doing a search from "Browse Freelancers", when you are logged in to your Upwork account.

Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 42

@Amy M wrote:

He's been here for at least a year. He knows. He played with fire and got burned and now wants to boohoo that upwork should protect him. You don't need protection if you don't just let people walk all over you.

amymortensen
Community Leader
26 of 42

Okay, I have lost on some jobs too.  Only one that I consider a true mistake and an example of upwork working badly for me... otherwise, I am okay.  That is part of my business and experience as a freelancer and I have done okay and had projects and clients I enjoy.  But why the outright vitriol to those who are just learning?  Why do you have to put people down for questioning the platform and suggesting other ways it might work?  

enebeli-godwin
Godwin .U. E Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
27 of 42
Better protection, an improved workplace... Any of those make sense to you Jennifer?
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 42

What protection do you need? They send you an offer with escrow funded. If it's not funded, you kick it back to them and tell them to fund it. 

Upwork is for people who have the ability to think for themselves.  Stop being weak.

e_luneborg
Community Guru
29 of 42

@Godwin .U. E wrote:
Better protection, an improved workplace... Any of those make sense to you Jennifer?

Most of us already have all of that. You'll get it too if you use Upwork as you're supposed to. 

30 of 42

That is just a mean comment, Eve.  Not helpful other than to shame people.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS