cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't Upwork Compel Clients to Respect Terms of a Contract?

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
41 of 42

Yes, I understood that Amy, however for clients, this would be told to them by email as soon as a freelancer requested payment I assume. I'm sure they get an email that says the freelancer is requesting payment and it will be released in 14 days. Upworks will email and let each party know what exactly is going on, and if a client can't be involved enough to keep a check on the process and what exactly is happening with a contract they are working with a freelancer on, than to me the freelancer isn't stealing or tricking them, nor is upworks. They can always dispute the request if they think the freelancer didn't do their work properly or if communication doesn't exist.

Clients are made aware of the process, and if they aren't aware for any reason, it is really simple to find the answer through many means on upworks.

Same goes for freelancers too. They should be all looking out for their protection and what to do in order to not be scammed or tricked, especially making sure that clients fund the project. It is typicial for freelancers, at least in my career, to ask for upfront payment or a way to secure payment like is done through upworks. 

I could be wrong about them getting messages about the 14 day release or that it isn't here in the terms of service, but either way each party is made aware of how things work, and if they don't understand how it does, they should seek help from support or do the research so that they can know how to avoid scams or issues. You should always look before you leap. If it isn't emailed to clients it should be, but upworks for me emails me with everything that's happening. 

Having an auto release for freelancers makes 100% sense if the work is complete. I've had clients whom were 100% satisfied and just never came back once they got my final files, so therefore I deserved my payment that they had funded since they had my final work with all files and were happy. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
42 of 42

@Amanda F wrote:

I could be wrong about them getting messages about the 14 day release or that it isn't here in the terms of service, but either way each party is made aware of how things work, and if they don't understand how it does, they should seek help from support or do the research so that they can know how to avoid scams or issues. You should always look before you leap. 

You're not wrong. They do.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS