cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Clients are punishing to contractors?

miabubaker
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Iqbal A Member Since: Mar 26, 2012
1 of 8

Hi

Most of the clients are pausing or holding contracts instead of multiple requests to kindly end the contract if you don;t have any more work, they are silent.

Is this a punishment to the contractors?

Can you establish a policy for such contractors?

Kindly help contractors. Please,

Warm Regards

Mohammad Iqbal

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
2 of 8

@Mohammad Iqbal A wrote:

Hi

Most of the clients are pausing or holding contracts instead of multiple requests to kindly end the contract if you don;t have any more work, they are silent.

Is this a punishment to the contractors?

Can you establish a policy for such contractors?

Kindly help contractors. Please,

Warm Regards

Mohammad Iqbal

There are many reason why a contract is paused.

I had an ex client who got a new credit card and didn't update the info with Upwork. Contract paused.

Another client contract was paused for inactivity. This happened because I was unsure of whether to proceed on the job because of changes being made. I contacted client and they let me know to continue as usual. Problem solved. 

A current client is paused for inactivity. I haven't received any new jobs from client so after a month the contract was paused. I contacted client and no response yet. 

My clients certainly do not 'punish' me and I would never accuse them as doing this.

Do you know clients read the forums too? Just food for thought. 

Anyway, what sort of policy would you suggest when contracts are paused considering there are different reasons for this? 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 8

I always have one or two jobs that have been paused by Upwork.  If this is hurting my JSS, it can't be by much as mine stays at 98%.  Unless you have lots and lots of them, I wouldn't worry about it.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
4 of 8

“Do you know clients read the forums too?”

I wish all my clients read the posts in these forums. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 8

I figure one of these days some post of mine will bite me in the butt. lol Whatevs, I'll worry about it when it happens.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
6 of 8

If I have written something unflattering about some client, I am all the happier he/she gets to see it. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
ravi_iitian
Community Guru
7 of 8

“I wish all my clients read the posts in these forums.”

Seems as if they do read our posts.

Just got myself another  job. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
hannanahmad
Hannan A Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 8

Technically speaking, yes it is going to be a big punishment but only in rare cases. 

Especially when the contract is small (of just a few hundred dollars or even less than that), you don't care about the work. However, when the client ends it after several months of pausing, there are no options remaining for you to process arefund to get rid of his negative feedback. In the end, the same few dollars that one would not mind throwing away in routine become a headache for months or even years to come. It has happened to me, so I know how does it feel.  May be that Upwork already thinking on how to cope with such issues because a large part of its own earnings goes down when a freelancer suffers in convincing new clients because of the negative feedback of one such a psycho. 

However, there are clients who want to continue engaging you in the future as well, so they keep the contract paused when there is no work for time being. In addition to this, some situations are complicated but its you who can convince them to end the contract with a positive note. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS