cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Do Freelancers Apply For Jobs They Are Not Qualified For?

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 22

Again today, while looking through job postings and checking who else has applied I ran across a number of applicants who are in no way qualified for the job.

The client is looking for an expert in Resume Writing and one of the applicants (not invited) was a software developer. Two others also had absolutely no experience in this area and don't even have it listed as a skill.

Why are people doing this and losing valuable connects in the process. What am I missing? It happens a lot now.

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
2 of 22

It's almost as if they have written themselves a script to auto apply for every single job in a category, whether they are qualified or not. I can imagine how incredibly frustrating that must be for clients to have to wade through these. Even if they are dumped into the "hidden folder", because that isn't working correctly, the client can't take a chance and just ignore the application.

How do people do this? I have always wondered if there was software out there that auto applies.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
3 of 22

"I have always wondered if there was software out there that auto applies."

There is. Then the idiots that use it turn up here to complain that they've run out of connects. Yes, we know. You were supposed to.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
4 of 22

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 22

Jean,

It is a persistent problem under the WRITING category. 

Everyone can write, but not everyone is a writer, not everyone can put together ideas and shape something with words....not everyone can write a complete, cohesive document that crosses the i's and dots the t's. Yet the perception is that it is 'easy', and that, 'because I have a qualification in XYZ but jobs are few there, let's try out for something easy like pushing the laptop buttons'. In the end, it reflects badly on the category as a whole, and let me tell you, there are some excellent writers on this platform.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 22

"Everyone can write"

I'm not even sure I'd go that far to be honest.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
boshoffirene
Community Guru
7 of 22

@ Fergus

I stand corrected. I should have said "anyone can string together a list of words'....which is a far cry from 'writing'.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 22

Well I guess is becuse writng a good resume is something that anyone with an Uiniverity education can do. 

is not a very high skilled job

boshoffirene
Community Guru
9 of 22

Actually, Mario, this is not entirely the case.

Someone who is freshly out of school does not have much of a resume. However, I have dealt with clients whose resumes I have edited, that are extremely complex, and which someone with only a rudimentary background could not, in their wildest dreams, give justice to.

Consider, for example, the difference between the resume of someone who has just left college or university with that of someone who has an established career? The difference is vast.

When you go into the realm of top-notch businessmen, or others who have proven themselves in their particular field, who have major accomplishments under their belt....no, my friend. Showcasing that, doing it justice, is not so easy.

(And no, I do not write resume's)

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
10 of 22

There are many people here with master or phd degrees, and saying that they dont have the qualification for writing just becuase they are software developers is being unfair. 

There are many people with more than just one skills or even more than 10 skills wich is the limit in upwork, an arbitray limit.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS