🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why Do I Have to Pay to Work
Page options
urgentprogrammer
Community Member

Why Do I Have to Pay to Work

Why do I have to pay to work?

Why do you ban people for wanting to work?

Isn't there something fundamentally wrong about that.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen:

We know for certain that Upwork has said that this move is being done to help clients by increasing the quality of proposals they receive while decreasing the overall number of proposals.

I don't know if this change actually WILL be beneficial to clients or not.

I can see both sides of this... I understand the reasoning for why this will help clients. I understand your point that it won't.

This represents one of the biggest changes in the platform in time that I have been here (over five years).

I do not doubt that this impacts many freelancers negatively.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
chhickish
Community Member

Well technically you have to pay to bid...but direct your anger to the spammers and scammers that made UpWork move in this direction

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Why do I have to pay to work?"

You don't have to pay people in order to work.

re: "Why do you ban people for wanting to work?"

Upwork does not want to ban people for wanting to work.

re: "Isn't there something fundamentally wrong about that."

If you are referring to the fact that Upwork not requires users to pay for connects, whereas in the past, connects were provided for free...

I agree. There is something wrong about that. It is a less "pure" system than when connects were free. I do not blame people if they feel frustrated by that. But this may indeed be what is necessary in order to improve Upwork for its customers: the clients who hire freelancers.

russtice
Community Member

Stephen, 

You are not alone. I really even doubt it will improve Upwork situation to be honest. The only thing it certainly accomplishes is to hurt freelancers that may be stuggling financially for one reason or the other. 

I really wish especially Freelancers stop saying this is to benefit the "Clients". I am sorry but that is a very short sighted perspective and although on the surface it may seem like the correct response, its not. Clients will get less of a choice. Choice my friends is a good thing and fundmentally its why clients actually choose Upwork in the first place. 

Stephen:

We know for certain that Upwork has said that this move is being done to help clients by increasing the quality of proposals they receive while decreasing the overall number of proposals.

I don't know if this change actually WILL be beneficial to clients or not.

I can see both sides of this... I understand the reasoning for why this will help clients. I understand your point that it won't.

This represents one of the biggest changes in the platform in time that I have been here (over five years).

I do not doubt that this impacts many freelancers negatively.

tlsanders
Community Member

Stephen H wrote:

The better question would be "Why would I expect a for-profit corporation to build a platform, hire a large staff, and spend a fortune advertising to make it easier for me to connect with freelancing clients and do it all for free?"

You do not, of course, have to pay to work--your clients are not charging you to work for them. However, if you choose to use services provided by a third party to find those jobs or perform those jobs, then of course it only makes sense that you would pay for those services. Do you ask why you have to "pay to work" when you put gas in your car to drive to a brick and mortar job? When you have to license Microsoft office or Adobe Creative Suite to perform your work? 

joansands
Community Member

Stephen - Why do you have to pay for connects? No one is forcing you to do that. And no one is forcing you to use Upwork. You might as well ask why you have to pay for the food you eat.

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Stephen H wrote:

Well, you dont HAVE to, but ok.....

The same reason you HAVE to pay to eat - A third party produces the food you eat, they are a business and need to make money.

The same reason you HAVE to pay to travel - A third party provides the transport, driver/pilot ect, they are a business and need to make money.

Why do you have to pay to work? - A third party (Upwork) is doing all the advertising, and finding you lots of clients, they are a business and need to make money (ignoring the fact the whole connect thing is actually to improve the experience for clients and thus bring even more work to us eventually)

Its the same reason you HAVE to pay for everything really.

Of course there is alternatives.....

Grow/raise your own food and become self sufficient.

Walk/cycle/swim or dont travel anywhere other than local.

Get your own clients through whatever means you can (cold calling/advertising ect.).

Personally Upwork makes sense for me, I wouldnt have nearly a large enough audience locally, so the fees are a neccesary business expense that is essentially passed on to the clients anyway.

tlbp
Community Member

Stephen H wrote:

Why do businesses buy leads? Determine whether the services that Upwork provides have value to you and if not, you don't have to purchase them. Are you able to find leads using other methods that cost less? Do you feel like the leads available through Upwork have value? Choose the best options for your business. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members