Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Why Does UpWork Continue to Make it Easy for Essay Mills & Contract Cheaters?

Active Member
Jonathan P Member Since: Mar 21, 2019
11 of 21

I really want to hear from Vladimir again on this topic. This thread (and many others on this forum) make it clear that people are upset about this issue, and that some tangible action needs to be taken to address it. Upwork should be learning from the likes of Uber and Airbnb that they can't claim to be a disinterested third party when their platform is used to break the law.

 

As others have mentioned, beyond legal trouble UW also has a social obligation to preserve academic integrity. It's clear that there are other websites that publicly advertise cheating services, so Upwork might not be able to solve the larger societal problem, but I don't want to support a company that *knowingly* facilitates academic cheating in any form.

 

A lengthy (and frequently ineffectual) investigation for every isolated instance is not a valid response. Asking users to police your platform is a serious cop-out for a company whose only substantial operational cost is customer support. 20% of every transaction on your platform should be able to fund a better "dedicated team" to handle this pervasive problem.

Ace Contributor
Pierre L Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
12 of 21

Hi Renata. I haven't read any of the responses (yet) to your post but I'll be blunt here.

 

In short, Upwork doesn't care. To them, the more jobs are posted, the more chance the job poster selects someone which means money in UW's pocket. They see themselves as a third-party, a go-between making things easier for a job poster to find a freelancer and vice versa. They just don't care if someone gets screwed in the arrangement and they can just wash their hands if that happens. Maybe "don't care" is a little harsh but that's the perception.

 

It's not just in one type of job either. A freelancer can get screwed no matter what service they provide. There are cheaters all over and, sorry to say, some fellow Canadians too apparently.

 

If a freelancer complains about a client, it won't matter much because they can just open a new account under a different name and start over and do the same. I highly doubt UW can detect all of them.

 

So that's my two cents.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
13 of 21

Pierre L wrote:

Hi Renata. I haven't read any of the responses (yet) to your post but I'll be blunt here.

 

In short, Upwork doesn't care. To them, the more jobs are posted, the more chance the job poster selects someone which means money in UW's pocket. They see themselves as a third-party, a go-between making things easier for a job poster to find a freelancer and vice versa. They just don't care if someone gets screwed in the arrangement and they can just wash their hands if that happens. Maybe "don't care" is a little harsh but that's the perception.

 

It's not just in one type of job either. A freelancer can get screwed no matter what service they provide. There are cheaters all over and, sorry to say, some fellow Canadians too apparently.

 

If a freelancer complains about a client, it won't matter much because they can just open a new account under a different name and start over and do the same. I highly doubt UW can detect all of them.

 

So that's my two cents.


Pierre, I hope you've read the whole thread now and realize that this discussion is not about FLs being cheated. Academic fraud is an entirely different, unrelated, issue. Let's not muddy the water, please.

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
14 of 21

It's hard for me to even see what's wrong here to be honest. In Russia we have massively popular, openly marketed sites (i won't cite the links here coz might be it's not allowed here, but easy to google) that provide similar services and i guess it's absolutely legit here from every respect at all. It's uni's job to figure out the scammers (mostly they just do it to confront students and bribe them for as if not mentioning).

 

Never had to do with anything of that, but even if it's not allowed, it is very low down the list of 'most outrageous frauds' either on the Upwork platform, or in how academic system works.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 21

Alexander, thanks for a candid, dissenting opinion. It prompted me to do a little googling, and I found this article on academic fraud that takes an international perspective (I haven't fact-checked it, but I don't think it's a fabrication): https://wenr.wes.org/2017/12/academic-fraud-corruption-and-implications-for-credential-assessment

Anyway, you're probably not alone in downplaying the seriousness of academic fraud. On the other hand, it's cause for concern when unqualified students are admitted to medical schools, to give one example.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
16 of 21

Alexander N wrote:

It's hard for me to even see what's wrong here to be honest. In Russia we have massively popular, openly marketed sites (i won't cite the links here coz might be it's not allowed here, but easy to google) that provide similar services and i guess it's absolutely legit here from every respect at all. It's uni's job to figure out the scammers (mostly they just do it to confront students and bribe them for as if not mentioning).

 

Never had to do with anything of that, but even if it's not allowed, it is very low down the list of 'most outrageous frauds' either on the Upwork platform, or in how academic system works.



Personally, I'd rather be treated by the nurse who legitimately passed his or her program requirements. Would'n't you?  I'm sure most people would prefer aerornautic and structural engineers who can do the math. Nursing and engineering students love to shop here as well. 


Edited to ad this: Last night I also ran across a job called "ghostwrite, PhD."

 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 21

Thought I'd mention that the FBI seems to take academic fraud seriously:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n98213...

However, not sure they have any jurisdiction over freelancers outside the US.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 21

John K wrote:

Thought I'd mention that the FBI seems to take academic fraud seriously:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n98213...

However, not sure they have any jurisdiction over freelancers outside the US.


Thanks for posting, John!

 

Upwork itself is subject to both California and US laws against fraud. It is in its interest to observe those laws, not to abet their violation, and to be aware of current enforcement practices.

 

While Upwork may claim—dubiously—a hands-off attitude toward the formation of contracts here, it cannot afford to actively or passively facilitate onsite fraud and potential crime once such activity has been brought to its attention. Even less can it afford to maintain a systemically inadequate response to that activity, and least of all, suspicion that it goes easy on profitable offenders.

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
19 of 21

Ph.D. is safe, they are useless anyway. My wife worked in uni where they did a lot of work and it was a scam house, basically whole thing is a scam from its inception and they don't even mention it because that's the way it was since before WWII i guess.

 

Nurses and engineers - yeah sounds scary!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 21

Even Aunt Becky dun goofed.  https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/college-admissions-cheating-felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin/index.ht...

 

You know the parents that had to pay $6 million compared to the others that just paid $500k has one seriously dumb kid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS