Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why I don't Upwork anymore

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
1 of 27

I would gladly pay the new 20% fee if things actually got better but no.  I can't get work anymore due to poor rating system.

I had a client who actually was a middle man.  And had no idea what they were doing.  I would ask for clarifications and get no answer back.  I even asked him

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Then he ensured me that my comments ARE reaching the client and that all the delays are because of the clients.

Then later he admitted that they were NOT getting my comments.

Project basically ended with me waiting for client's feedback.  Then got the following rating from the middle man.

Capture4.JPG

Because of this, I have 80% job completion.  And can't get any more contracts.  There's nothing Upwork will do for me.

I've had enough.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 27

That's tough but at least you got real money out of it. If you're leaving, you should leave a reaction to that feedback, to give your side of the story, so other freelancers who see it will avoid the client, although many smart freelancers would avoid clients who leave feedback below 4.0 anyway.

3 of 27

Well, the problem is not the client.  It's the system.  It wont even let me leave feedback on that client anymore.  And what good is it if they have something called "Private Feedback" from the clients that we can't even see or be aware of?

My criticism was towards Upwork and its unfair system.  Not the specific client.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 27

"although many smart freelancers would avoid clients who leave feedback below 4.0 anyway."

Also, that's not a good system either.  If I imagine I'm a client and just because I left low rating for really bad work (publically, NOT privately) and now all the good, smart freelancers would avoid me?  How is that a good system?  Upwork is bound to fail with such horrible system for BOTH clients and freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
5 of 27

You had a chance to leave feedback for the client when the contract ended. Was that feedback honest?

Why would you want to change it once you saw the client's feedback?

At the moment you still have the possibility of replying to the feedback you got and tell your part of the story. Your initial post would seem just fine for that.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 27

I did not leave feedback for this client because I didn't feel the job was completed and had nothing to say.  I actually didn't realize this job was closed for awhile.  I didn't get the notification.  I saw the he left 4 star (from the contract screen), I didn't find a way to leave feedback and I just let it go.  And then started investigating when I saw that my JSS was 80%.  And I'm not trying to change the feedback.  That was John K's suggestion.  Please read whole thread. 

Once again, I'm just pointing out the flaw in the system. The overall review from this client still showed 4 stars as attached and I did not realize he left 2 star rating for communication until later. Which you can only see from your profile, NOT from contracts which is another issue with the system.

Capture5.JPG

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
7 of 27

Brian C wrote:

I did not leave feedback for this client because I didn't feel the job was completed and had nothing to say. 

Which was your decision. You were given the opportunity to leave feedback but you chose not to. 

Feedback is double-blind for a reason - it prevents clients and freelances from leaving 'revenge' comments for each other. Incidentally, you could have spoken with the client regarding feedback and they could have changed it if they agreed. 

As for private feedback, it is to prevent freelancers from hassling clients after leaving 'poor' feedback - it helps to encourage clients to leave more honest feedback. That's why the mod can not/will not tell you which one was poor. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 27

"it prevents clients and freelances from leaving 'revenge' comments for each other"

First of all, I'm not saying it wasn't my fault for leaving feedback on the client.  But what does that have anything to do with this topic?  And how would I leave "revenge" comment if I don't even know he is the one who lowered my JSS?  Which is the point of this topic.

And your contradiction.

"As for private feedback, it is to prevent freelancers from hassling clients after leaving 'poor' feedback"

Yet you suggested I hassle the client.

"Incidentally, you could have spoken with the client regarding feedback and they could have changed it if they agreed."

Hence the flaw of the system.  Hope that make sense.

At least you get browny point for staying on topic closest out of all the replies.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
9 of 27

Brian C wrote:

"it prevents clients and freelances from leaving 'revenge' comments for each other"

First of all, I'm not saying it wasn't my fault for leaving feedback on the client.  But what does that have anything to do with this topic? 

It has this to do with the topic. Your words - "Well, the problem is not the client. It's the system. It wont even let me leave feedback on that client anymore." - I am explaining how the system is designed that way. It is not a flaw. 

Brian C wrote:

And your contradiction.

"As for private feedback, it is to prevent freelancers from hassling clients after leaving 'poor' feedback"

Yet you suggested I hassle the client.

"Incidentally, you could have spoken with the client regarding feedback and they could have changed it if they agreed."

Hence the flaw of the system.  Hope that make sense.

You have missed the point. The feedback I am referring to that you could have spoken with the client about is the visible feedback, not the private feedback. That you are moaning about the feedback they left highlights the need for a private feedback rating. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 27

"The feedback I am referring to that you could have spoken with the client about is the visible feedback, not the private feedback."

LMAO.  You said the reason for private feedback is because they're afraid of hassling.  So if I hassle him about visible feedback, wouldn't that encourage him for private feedback?  And hence the contradiction?  You get the point?

And I'm not moaning.  I'm simply asking if that's fair.  If I left you a private feedback here that degraded your ability to post without you knowing.  Is that fair?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS