Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I don't Upwork anymore

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
21 of 27

Incidentally - I've had my JSS drop to around 75% before, through no fault of my own. I bought it up and it was clear that nothing was going to be done about it. 

So, I stayed on the forum and continued to whine about it, blaming upwork, belittling the other forum members and saying how I am going to leave if I don't get my way. 

Oh wait - no. That's a lie, I did none of that. I just got on with it. I started doing my best to write some killer proposals to find more work despite my low JSS. 2 of my current clients are with people that first hired me at that time, one of which is arguably the best client I have had. 

I am now on 100% and top-rated, and I know that if my JSS does take a hit again, for whatever reason, it's down to me to do something about it - the same as with EVERY other freelancer on Upwork. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
22 of 27

"Oh wait - no. That's a lie, I did none of that."

"I am now on 100% and top-rated,"

I'm sorry, how did this turn into "ABOUT JAMIE F"???

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
23 of 27

Brian C wrote:

"Oh wait - no. That's a lie, I did none of that."

"I am now on 100% and top-rated,"

I'm sorry, how did this turn into "ABOUT JAMIE F"???

Blimey.

Never mind mate - as you were. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
24 of 27

"Never mind mate - as you were."

Thank you.  Move along.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
25 of 27

"I would do a few smaller, not too difficult contracts you can knock out of the park"

And if I do that, would you say that system is working properly?  If I do bunch of scrap work just to raise my JSS, isn't that an exploit of the system?  Didn't the Moderator say the reason for Private Feedback was danger of exploiting the Public feedback?  And now you're suggesting another exploit?

LOL All of you are full of contradiction and no real answers on whether the system is fair or not. That is the only question I've been asking and none of you were able to answer it. All of you are bashing on my personality or my client's feedback. And I'm the one with communication issue lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
26 of 27

Brian:

Unfortunately you didn't get that rating from the middle man, you got that rating from the client.

See, the person that hires you is your client. And like them or not, they are the one you must make happy.

It's wise to ask upfront if they are working on behalf of another person or the end user. Of course, you didn't do that and are paying what I call the "stupid tax". It doesn't mean you are stupid, it just means there is a price to be paid when you do something that's not smart....like steering clear of these situations by asking about them upfront.

At 80%, you still might get more contracts. Concentrate on writing dynamite proposals and when you get hired, hit the job out of the park. I mean go above and beyond and make sure the client is 100% satisfied. You'll get a good rating and that should help rescue your JSS.

Going forward, always ask if the potential client is a middle man. I personally interview my clients as hard as they are interviewing me. Most of the time I run if the client isn't the end user.

Upwork will do something for you, so not all is lost. They will continue to provide the opportunity for you to connect with potential clients.

Chin up, it sucks but this too will pass.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
27 of 27

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread for Community Guidelines. We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Edited to add:

This thread will be closed from further replies. As a gentle reminder, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS