🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why I left Upwork
Page options
ec9efda8
Community Member

Why I left Upwork

Hello UPWORK Corporate Community,

Thank you to those who commented. I appreciate your insight. Just frustreated. I'll get over it 🙂 

I need your help. I was in UpWork for years, last year, I closed my account due to elevated frustration with the way the company works. 

When I access "Best Matches", all of the jobs are Social Media management, digital marketing, or executive assistant. No where in my profile does it say I want Executive Assistant or Virtual Assistant position. I want Voice-over jobs, that's what I've indicated in my profile. I have videos, reels, and audio files all uploaded to my profile. Seeking voice-over opportunities was the motivation for my return to this platform. My community of voice-over colleges use UpWork and find some success here.

I don't think it's right for the company to tell me what projects I should bid on. Show me the projects that allign with my profile.

Thank you,

Sherry

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
33b5f07d
Community Member

Don't be hectic. Its the part of freelancing that you will search for the best matching job for your self. As You are right that the jobs in your feeds is not according to your profile. But you could find matching and best jobs for yourself by using different filters in the search section. Take a start again and use proper filter you will be happy.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
sofia2008
Community Member

Sherry M wrote:

I was in UpWork for years, last year, I closed my account due to elevated frustration with the way the company works. 

Welcome back to Upwork!

If you have a previous account, you will need to reinstate it as you are only allowed one lifetime account on Upwork. You will be able to edit it with new skills or updated details.

I completely closed the other account. This one is brand new. Thanks anyway.

One lifetime account means your first account ever created so all history, feedback and earnings are kept together. There is no starting from scratch.

Sherry M wrote:

I completely closed the other account. This one is brand new. Thanks anyway.

Can't do that. You need to ask to get your first profile re-activated if you plan to use upwork at all. Otherwise you will get suspended for a ToS violation. 

yitwail
Community Member

Your profile title includes digital marketing and your overview mentions  marketing and social media marketing so it doesn't seem preposterous that Best Matches would suggest Digital and Social Media work. But the matches are generated by algorithms and no one is compelled to apply to such jobs. I personally pay almost no attention to those and use my own saved searches when I'm looking for jobs.

The algorithm is giving me admin assistant and social media with no utterance of Voiceover or audio editing. That's my issue.

33b5f07d
Community Member

Don't be hectic. Its the part of freelancing that you will search for the best matching job for your self. As You are right that the jobs in your feeds is not according to your profile. But you could find matching and best jobs for yourself by using different filters in the search section. Take a start again and use proper filter you will be happy.

While true, it defeats the purpose of being a part of the "service".

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

If you left Upwork last year, why are you posting this now? You should have done this just before leaving the platform.

Are you implying that you missed Upwork and are trying to get back? Just recommendations are just recommendations, no one is "telling " you to bid on those projects. They keep refining the algorithm and sometimes the job recommendations may be a little off, but that's not enough reason for me to leave an income source! 

I joined Upwork around late 2020, and have always found the job recommendations to be useful but I also key in my keywords to look, filter, and bid on jobs that I WANT to....

No, I wrote this because the same frustration I had when I left in 2021 is still present. It's like they don't care what freelancers are trying to achieve, they only care about their bottom line. It's very frustrating. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths