cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why Upwork keep account suspended when a client file a dispute ?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 25

Hi Setu,

Upwork will only reverse payment if screenshots in the Work Diary are not related to the assignment and the dispute was filed during the review period. However, we do take reports about the quality of work seriously and Upwork team will review and do it's best to help the client and the freelancer come to a mutual agreement.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
12 of 25

"4. Disputes

The most common reasons for disputes include:
  • Manual time billed without approval
  • Low activity levels or insufficient work memos as tracked by the Upwork Time Tracker
  • Screenshot reflects activity not associated with the work being billed
Only the time worked—not the quality of the work—is up for dispute."

In any case, the OP is willing to rectify whatever problems the client has highlighted within reason, but communication has broken down. And after 2 months, it can be said that the "team" is not helping. 

"8. Disputes between Client and Freelancer
  1. Disputes Initiated via the PlatformFor Hourly-Rate Contracts, ...... Disputes can only address the hours billed, not the quality of the Freelancer Services or the Work Product provided under Hourly-Rate Contracts. .... If Client and Freelancer fail to come to a resolution, Upwork will promptly investigate the Time Log and determine, in our sole discretion, whether an adjustment is appropriate. Upwork’s determination of such dispute shall be final."
Now, in black and white for everyone to see, Upwork is obviously breaching their own guidelines that both the freelancer and the client have signed to. This is not an opinion, it is stated here https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/escrow/hourly/. The OP needs to have his money released and the matter closed.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
13 of 25

Hi Setu,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. However, we will not be able to share all the details about Gaurav's situation and communication between him, his client and our team here in the Community. I would still encourage him to continue working with the team and his client to resolve the situation.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Gaurav G Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
14 of 25

Hello! Valeria,

You have put the comment and suggestion that resolve the dispute amicably, but how it could be possible if the client has gone totally un-responsive, neither he is available on skype, nor on upwork and also not picking up the phone call.

Then, how please tell without communication how can the issues be resolved because the client have taken the delivery of the code and his website is up and running fine. So, he is not facing any issue but here i am only facing the account suspension issue and mental torchure.

I have put the last message to client on 03, June and today as well as per your suggestion and even tried the phone call but he didn't answer the call.

Even i am not getting any message from the Aisha (Dispute Team Member Upwork) from the last 6 days and previously she responded to me after 10 days after i make many followup.

My concern is if client is un-responsive and we have no fault, just client have filled the fake dispute then why my account is suspended from the last many weeks ?

Also, i am ready to discuss the case in open community if you allow me to share the details with other members. As i am expecting the fair support from you.

Awaiting your Reply.........!!!

Thanks

Gaurav

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
15 of 25

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Setu,

Upwork will only reverse payment if screenshots in the Work Diary are not related to the assignment and the dispute was filed during the review period. 

How is this determined (just out of curiosity)?  Of course if someone is playing Solitaire or is using personal social media, it's clear, but if it's browsing the internet, which many jobs require for example, how does Upwork staff determine whether it's related to the job or not, without solely relying on what the disputing client is stating, exposing freelancers even more to vindictive, self serving, client games?

Highlighted
16 of 25

Hi Krisztina,

Yes, playing games or checking personal social media accounts if it's unrelated to the job can result in payment being reversed as well as no memos, insufficient activity levels and manual time. If browsing the Internet is part of the job and it's recorded in the offer and in communication between the client and the freelancer, it's fine.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
17 of 25

Hello! Valeria,

Payment of 7 Hours has already been refunded to the client from the last week 10 hours of work when client files the dispute then why the dispute is active ?

Thanks

Gaurav

18 of 25

Hello! Setu

Thanks for giving your favour on my case.

Thing is that client has appreciated the work that "it looks good, please upload the work to my server". and after 2 weeks of taking the delivery he files the dispute and upwork keep my financial account suspended and hold the funds. As his website is up and running fine and now client is totally un-responsive, then how the things can be sorted out amicably ? which the upwork is forcing me to do so.

Thanks

Gaurav

Highlighted
Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
19 of 25

Ony of my agency contractors was also filed a dispute even though the clients main arguement was for quality of work because they wanted a USB headset from our contractor. After writing a long detailed counter arguement why his dispute is invalid with a screen shot of the skype chat the contractor had with the clients staffing manager(client never engaged with his freelancers). On the screenshoot our contractor clearly informed the manager that even though he was using a non-usb headset he was still able to deliver the work, he also asked for approval after informing of non-usb headset first if he could continue the work, sm said yes. and mind you this was all visible on the screenshot. I even think my counter arguement was 2-3 pages long. But still in vain, it didnt take 4 hours after submitting for upwork resolution to side with client and gave no further explanation for the decision except that they review the work diary. WOW

Talk about quality of protection and of course this all happened 2 weeks AFTER the contract ended.

I didnt really mind refunding the amount as it was just a measely 7 hours of work.

But it really had me thinking on how a client could easily get away with such a dispute.

Since I rearely post here, so I'm just going to make the most of it and dare UpWork resolution, to provide us the real score on the number of disputes won by clients versus disputes won by freelancer. kthxbye!

Highlighted
20 of 25

Hello! Valeria,

I have still not got any update from oDesk Dispute Team from the last 7 Days. I am eagerly awaiting for the reply for which you made the followup

Please respond and ask dispute team to reply ASAP.

Thanks

Gaurav

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS