cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Upwork keep account suspended when a client file a dispute ?

Highlighted
Gaurav G Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
1 of 25

It has been more than a month in the hourly dispute and i have gave all the justification to the upwork dispute team. I really don't know why upwork have kept my account suspended.

Client have filed the dispute after taking the delivery of code to his server. He never files any dispute in 7 weeks of his job.

I would like to know, how the freelancer is secured for the hourly payment even after delivering the code to the client server ?

Please help

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 25
There is no circumstance under which I would file a dispute. Any possible benefit to a contractor is far outweighed by the negatives associated with doing so.

If you file a dispute, you have already lost. No matter who "wins" the dispute.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
3 of 25

@Preston H wrote:
There is no circumstance under which I would file a dispute. Any possible benefit to a contractor is far outweighed by the negatives associated with doing so.

If you file a dispute, you have already lost. No matter who "wins" the dispute.

Why? Because of your job success score?

Not related to this specific case, but I think it's worth it if you spend a lot of time on a project only to have a client refuse to pay you the agreed amount. My sister is a good example. She agreed to do a project for $100, after completing it the client said he would only give her $20, and accused her of plagiarism. He had no proof whatsoever and was obviously trying to get almost-free work. She filed a dispute and won the full amount. How is this losing no matter what? I don't believe people would accept this and walk away...

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 25

Hi Gaurav,

I understand your frustration with the delay. I have checked your case and saw that your ticket was updated earlier today. Please, follow the instructions in the ticket and communicate with your client in order to resolve the situation amicably.

Thank you for your cooperation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 25

Hello! Valeria,

Thanks for response to my query.

The thing is that i am not getting frequent messages from the oDesk Dispute Team, Last Reply i got from the oDesk Dispute Team was in 11 Days and there is no reply from the last 5 days since that reply, even i have made 2 followup after that message.

oDesk have keep this dispute active from last 2 months for the hourly Job and have even keep my account suspended for which the client has taken the delivery. I have even provided the evidence for everything whatever the odesk team have asked. I was objectioned for the Access Hours Logged without even notifing the client, Second, for the work not delivered to client server, i again provide the evidence with live url of the client server.
After giving all the justification i even asked the below but i didn't get any response for that

" Now, I am surprised to see and think, what actually the dispute is for ????
1) Is Dispute is for excess hours ?
2) Is Dispute is for work not delivered ?
3) Is Dispute is for website is not editable ?
4) Is Dispute is for work not delivered as it is on our development server ?
OR
5) Is Dispute is to torture the freelancer and gain the work free of cost ? "

Client have file the dispute on HOURLY after 2 weeks of taking the delivery of the code to his server. He even never rejected any of the timesheet in the 2 Months of his project progress.

As i know about the Hourly Dispute Policy that client can only file the dispute for the last week and it has 4-5 days in the next week to file a dispute.

On Elance, One Client file a dispute for the past week hours for which my developer have worked, then following i got in the Dispute Resolution is below ~

"There are no time sheets submitted with billable hours to dispute over. Payment of past time sheets cannot be disputed over. Disputes for hourly jobs must be filed within the 5 day 'time sheet review' period once time sheet is submitted by Freelancer.

For more information on Elance’s Workview Protection Policy for Clients & Freelancers please follow the links below.
http://help.elance.com/entries/23449893-What-is-Work-View-Payment-Protection-for-Freelancershttp://h... "

As world know, Elance and oDesk both are now one and even policy are even same and upwork have also launched net-ARB policy for Fixed Price Projects. Upwork do have the same polcy to file a dispute for the Hourly job in the next week only. Refer ~ https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/client-policies/
"On Upwork, clients may dispute time worked on hourly contracts during the four days following the close of a weekly invoice period (review period starts on Monday at noon UTC until Friday at midnight UTC)."

Then, why the policy is different for me ? Even though i am still ready to support to all my client, if they are facing any issues to all the communicative client, which is ready to discuss and resolve.

I just want to know, even i am ready to provide the backup of the website which is on my development server, as client claims that website on my development is working fine. Even client is also not responding to us on oDesk, SKYPE and phone calls. Then what shoud i do ?
Then what the dispute is for ?
Why my account is suspended ?
Why I am not getting frequent communication from the long ?
Why i am not getting answer to all my queries from the oDesk ?

Hope to get the favourbale and fair support from you.

Thanks

Gaurav

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 25
2 months is too long of a time to have a simple matter of fact resolved.

Gaurav deserves some resolution one way or the other.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 25

2 days is too long.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 25

Hi Gaurav,

I am sorry it takes long time to resolve this issue.  Our dispute team is in touch with both you and your client and it will do their best to mediate. However, since the quality of work is in question here, please communicate with the client and try to come to an agreement.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
9 of 25

Hello! Valeria,

Thanks for letting me know that what actually the dispute is for ? but sorry to say why do i have seperate policy

As what i have read and understand in the upwork policy, reference https://www.upwork.com/info/terms/client-policies/ , it is clearly written that 

"Only the time worked—not the quality of the work—is up for dispute."

Also, client can claim that hours in the next week of fours days.

I am still surprised that why my account is suspended and the funds are on hold, even though client is not responding, then what should i do from my side ? You can check last message to the client is from my side only.

You are requested to kindly restore the account ASAP, as it is a mental torchure and harassment to the freelancer/contractor for no use and i am still ready to satisfy the client if he really have any issue, not those issues to harass us only.

Hoping for the favourable response.

Thanks

Gaurav

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
10 of 25
@ Gaurav

I was thinking about the same policy. That has always been Upwork's official stance in their official documents, so I find it strange that quality is being disputed, when the documentation clearly states otherwise.

I am not condoning poor quality work, but if the documentation that we agree to is not upheld, I find it rather disconcerting.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS