🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why Upwork make New Freelancers pay for Conne...
Page options
hasibkazi
Community Member

Why Upwork make New Freelancers pay for Connects before they start earning?

Although New Talents Receive 40 free Connects with an additional 40 free Connects for passing the Upwork Readiness Test. After that, for Freelancer Basic Plan New Freelancers Receive 10 free Connects per month (according to billing cycle). Many of the New ones don't get any interview requests after spending all these free Connects. Then Upwork make them pay to buy connects to stay on Upwork OR to apply for jobs. When I joined Upwork, this rule was not there and I now I have come to this stage. Making job seekers pay before getting a job is not appreciated in anywhere, not even in corporate environments. But it is implemented in this renowned upwork environment. New Talents need to have better opportunities. I guess not many would find this topic appropriate who always wants and expects their own benefits.

5 REPLIES 5
michaeloneillorg
Community Member

Upwork is a genuine platform, but it is important to understand that their business model is to squeeze both ends of the client and freelancer equation as much as possibile without much care or concern to any hint of quality relationship or outcome. They are a purely volume game.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are not looking for full-time employment. You are running a business. Connects are a cost of running a business. 

jennifer-layton
Community Member

I think it shows the employer that you also do care a little bit more as well. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Let's look at your question another way: why would Upwork, as a for-profit business, offer its services to you for free?

miriam-ocampo
Community Member

Don't feel bad, they also make old freelancers pay for connects too...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members