Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Upwrok doesn't correct it?

weerap
Ace Contributor
Weera P Member Since: Sep 11, 2013
1 of 27

Hi,

Theres' only 8 applicants but it show 18 applicants. It is not reliable.

11.png

22.png

Thanks,

Weera

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
2 of 27

Are you sure there arent 10 floating around in a hidden folder somewhere?

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 27

@Cathleen C wrote:

Some weeks back it was announced the hidden folder had been discontinued. 

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
4 of 27

@Jean S wrote:

@Cathleen C wrote:

What?!  Where does it say this?

10 may be invites that haven't applied.  I noticed that I don't show up until I accept the invite and submit a proposal.

10 is the "auto-invite" number that you see when you post a job.  Upwork selects 10 people, most of which aren't really good for the job.  Then you see a button that says something like "I'm lazy and don't give a flying ****, invite ALL!"

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 27
This widget could not be displayed.

@Daniel C wrote:

10 may be invites that haven't applied.  I noticed that I don't show up until I accept the invite and submit a proposal.

10 is the "auto-invite" number that you see when you post a job.  Upwork selects 10 people, most of which aren't really good for the job.  Then you see a button that says something like "I'm lazy and don't give a flying ****, invite ALL!"

If I find a job offer I want to apply for I often find that many of those who applied for the job do not fit. Are those freelancers Upwork selections? As I cannot rely on being invited to any job relevant for me it is very important to search regulary for jobs and to apply for those that are relevant for me. If freelancers that do not fit are suggested to the client or they decide to apply despite being qualified for the job this is the chance for those who have the suitable qualifications.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
6 of 27

I'm sure the matching algorithm for suggested jobs is similar to suggested freelancers.  So you can compare the quality of recommended jobs to recommended freelancers.  It ends up more like a lottery than anything else.  Pull the level and let it ride!

Margarete, I get invites but usually the "good ones" find me another way, and I'm not recommended.  I get invited for SEO jobs frequently but I never do SEO work because it's horrible.  It's close to bargain basement writing work.

On the other hand, when I do get a quality invite, I can turn it into a job 80-90% of the time.  Sometimes I'm the only person that is invited, or it's a private job and I'm the only invite, so I feel bad turning them down.  

So I don't really mind the matching but I would like to see improvements on it.  Get rid of the invite all, or let freelancers know they are low value invites and not to waste connects.  The fact that they hide invites now only makes you waste connects thinking you're the only invite.  It's shiesty Upwork!  We know you're doing it on purpose!  Haha.

I would like to see that my profile was actually viewed before being invited.  This would be a high value invite and would deserve extra attention.  

You learn to work around the system and sort the good from the trash.  I make it a habit to hit decline unless it meets a few of my rules.

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
7 of 27

@Daniel C wrote:

[...]So I don't really mind the matching but I would like to see improvements on it.  Get rid of the invite all, or let freelancers know they are low value invites and not to waste connects.  The fact that they hide invites now only makes you waste connects thinking you're the only invite.  It's shiesty Upwork!  We know you're doing it on purpose!  Haha.[...]

...except that a job you're invited to doesn't cost you any connects.

- Barbara Herrera -
fluentinspanish
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
8 of 27

Yep!

SOLUTION:

Automatically show ALL freelancers that have been invited to a job posting, whether or not they have responded to the invitation.

In that way, the actual number of proposals will be shown. ie. 18 and one can then decide whether or not one still wants to go ahead and submit one's proposal.

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
9 of 27

@Jean S wrote:

@Cathleen C wrote:

That doesnt necessarily make it true. [wink]

10 may be invites that haven't applied. I noticed that I don't show up until I accept the invite and submit a proposal.

It says 18 applicants. That implies 18 people applied. Maybe the choice of words is what is confusing people.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
10 of 27

If you had ever worked on the client side you would know. It does not help you to be negative all the time even when you're told the truth.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS