Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Why am I invited when the client prefers USA freelancers?

Today I received a job offer for writing an article in English and the client prefered freelancers from North America. If this is the case I should not appear in the search results for the clients, because Germany is not a part of North America. Moreover, I do not write articles in a language that is not my native language. Both categories could be improved in the algorithm and the search results: location and native language knowledge in languages that are not English. 

6 REPLIES 6
versailles

@Margarete M wrote:

Germany is not a part of North America. 

A lot has changed in the recent 48 hours 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Rene K wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

Germany is not a part of North America. 

A lot has changed in the recent 48 hours 🙂

True, but now this sentence is even more true than before 🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Margarete,

The client could have found your profile searching by other parameters. I'll share your case with the team so they could investigate and check if there is any way for us to help clients send more targeted invites.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Margarete,

The client could have found your profile searching by other parameters. I'll share your case with the team so they could investigate and check if there is any way for us to help clients send more targeted invites.

Hi Valeria,

The client was also looking for English language knowledge fluent, this could be the reason why he found me. A lot of clients and freelancers confuse fluent and native. Fluent is not good enough to write an article. I can do translations English into German, do research and write reports in English but would never write an article in English that is published somewhere. Beware! However, I am often invited to jobs that only fit for freelancers with native English. The topic itself was not related to the USA, somebody from UK or Canada for example could have fit as well. 

iaabraham

@Margarete M wrote:

Today I received a job offer for writing an article in English and the client prefered freelancers from North America. 

This happens to me too, and I often assume it's because the clients are **Edited for Community Guidelines**, so I ask them politely why they invited me since I am not from America.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

Today I received a job offer for writing an article in English and the client prefered freelancers from North America. 

This happens to me too, ....... , so I ask them politely why they invited me since I am not from America.

Maybe. But there would be a simple solution. Client prefers English: fluent and location: USA, the search algorithm should combine English fluent AND location USA and therefore nobody in Germany should appear in his search results.