cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Upwork allowing job postings of $3?

brendabrad
Brenda B Member Since: Mar 25, 2017
1 of 13

I keep seeing jobs for under $3 and  wondered why?  Upwork never used to accept these type of jobs 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Minimum rate for hourly jobs is $3/hour.

Minimum fixed-price contract is $5.00.

I am not sure what you are seeing. Upwork doesn't allow jobs belong these minimums.

yellowjag1
Cheyenne J Member Since: Jul 4, 2017
3 of 13

Legally minimum wage is much more tham 3.00, how do you get around that? Also, is it true that the "checks" Upwork sends out are only good for purchasing software from Upwork? Thanks

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 13

@Cheyenne J wrote:

Legally minimum wage is much more tham 3.00, how do you get around that? Also, is it true that the "checks" Upwork sends out are only good for purchasing software from Upwork? Thanks

1) You are not working for wages, so minimum wage doesn't count.

2) Upwork does not send any checks for anything. If a client has said they will send you a check to purchase software it is definitely a scam. You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

kathrynbaughman
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
5 of 13

United States minimum wage does not apply in a global marketplace, nor to working as a freelancer.  We are not employees.  

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 13

Cheyenne J wrote:

> Legally minimum wage is much more tham 3.00,

In which country?

> Also, is it true that the "checks" Upwork sends out are only good for purchasing software from Upwork? 

What checks? What software? Upwork doesn't send checks and doesn't sell software. What are you talking about?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 13

Hi Cheyenne, 

Jennifer is correct. If you come across any client that fits your description, please flag their job post as inappropriate, or report them directly to our Customer Support Team so that actions can be taken against their post and account's. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 13

Cheyenne, your specific questions aside, you clearly do not know enough about Upwork or freelancing to safely work here. Please stop and take as much time as is necessary to read the tips on avoiding scams, advice for new freelancers, terms of service and other resources before you move forward.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 13

Maybe you can provide more details...

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Brenda,

Preston already noted budget minimums for two main contract types on Upwork. If you're seeing jobs offering a lower rate than the minimums in their description, please flag them or report them directly to Customer Support, so our team could review and address them.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS