🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why can clients still require freelancers to ...
Page options
antorix
Community Member

Why can clients still require freelancers to be located in Russia?

It's been a year after Upwork banned all freelancers in Russia, I wonder why clients still can set Russia as their preferred location in their job posts?

Screenshot_1.png

No freelancer can qualify fully for such jobs, and clients are mislead thinking they may get freelancers from Russia while it's plain impossible. Upwork, is it so difficult to just remove Russia from the list of locations?

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Why not? It's still possible.

There is a support club for russians who are trying to advise and help them. Some use a fake location and keep working. Some keeping true location (FL and CL as well). The russians have not gone anywhere. Such proposals are for them. Upwork does not block them and keep covering.

Check this group:

image.pngUpwork Helps

Support for members of our community directly impacted by the conflict in Ukraine.

Upwork named war, genocide and terrorism as "conflict". Group have lot of topics how to help russians. I will not draw conclusions for you what is happening, I am sure we will understand everything.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Anton, Thanks for flagging this  I've reported the issue with job postings showing Russia as a location preference to the team. They're working on it. Additionally, to confirm, Upwork operations remain suspended in Russia, as stated in our previous announcement.  If the team discovers accounts bypassing the restrictions, they will take appropriate action.

Mykola, I'd like to clarify that the group you're referring to was created last year to help Upwork users stay informed and navigate the rapidly evolving situation. The group has since been set as read-only.

~ Valeria
Upwork
spectralua
Community Member

So you say suspended? I can see both, clients and freelancers as well. Noone block them. Here is fresh jobpost, up to 50 applied already:

1.jpg

I tracked some to see if the Upwork follows the rules. They have not been blocked for more than 2 weeks.

I thought you can not be a freelancer in russia but you can be a client. Do you think people in russia should not be a client as well? I think the whole point is, when you pay someone who is in russia, you are sending money to that country and eventually all money in a country is under control of its government. So you don't have anything against people of a country but you don't want to indirectly fund the governmental intentions by sending your money to them. When they are a client, they are sending their money to you which is ok. Or is it?

Upwork allowed the client to publish the work. He developed his business and make money. With this money he bought a rocket. Tonight this rocket landed near where I live (or survive). It was a residential building with civilians. Is this the answer to your question?

0d6b96b-uman-dsns690.jpg

20 peoples already found died at morning. We are still digging out the restAnd this happens every day. Keep worrying about russians, good luck. Maybe next night I will never visit this forum again .

I understand your frustration. It is a very difficult sittuation.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members