🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why can't I access the funds in escrow
Page options
larry9650
Community Member

Why can't I access the funds in escrow

Client has ut my deposit funds into 'escrow' and I can't access the funds. Why?

14 REPLIES 14
lysis10
Community Member

Did you submit the work to the milestone? You can see it in your My Jobs page.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Larry B wrote:

Funds in escrow are your payment protection on fixed price. It does not mean you've been paid yet. To get those funds released, you need to submit work under the Submit Work button so the client can review the work and release the payment. If the client does not review within 14 days, it is automatically released. Additionally there is like a 5 day transfer period between when it is released and available for withdraw. 

My terms are always 50% deposit and 50% COD. That’s how I’ve been doing business for decades. And that is what I conveyed to this client. I will attempt to talk to the client in the A M and give them the benefit that this might be a misunderstanding. I always tell the clients the deposit is required before any work can commence. If this client is acting in bad faith I will have to walk away. Thank you for your reply.

Larry B wrote:
My terms are always 50% deposit and 50% COD. That’s how I’ve been doing business for decades. 

That's not how it usually works on Upwork, and doesn't HAVE to because the funds being in Escrow means the client can't run away with the work and you can't run away with the money.

Clients here are likely to believe their escrow deposit is them paying you upfront, I wouldn't assume anyone is working in bad faith just yet. As Petra said, it's not common to be expected to release milestone payments before work has been done (or the freelancer has requested payment). 

Larry B.,

Among the few fixed price projects I've done, a few have been "urgent", according to the clients.

If a client is in a great hurry to get work done, I am equally in a hurry to get paid.

I required these clients to fully fund escrow and release 25% - 50% upfront (at which point I started work) with the remainder due based on a milestone or the completion of the project.

None have refused that approach.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Larry B wrote:

Because you need to work first.

Martina,

A freelancer does not need to first do work before a client can release funds in escrow if the contract/agreement for the project requires the client to make an upfront payment before work by the freelancer begins.

What's the best way to get the funds released?

Larry B wrote:
What's the best way to get the funds released?

Go to the contract and click on "Submit for Payment" for thw milestone - editing the amount if need be to suit what was agreed. 

I've tried doing all that and nothing has changed. Contract states first milestone to be paid on Sept 6, upon signing of contract (that's done).  The Lindero Entertainment contract shows $750 in escrow, amount paid: '0'  Can you guys take a look?  Maybe I'm missing a step.

Larry B wrote:
I've tried doing all that and nothing has changed. Contract states first milestone to be paid on Sept 6, upon signing of contract (that's done).  The Lindero contract shows $750 in escrow, amount paid: '0'  Can you guys take a look?  Maybe I'm missing a step.

OK, let's take it step by step.

Go to My Jobs

Click on "active milestones (1)"

active milestones.png

There you should see an active milestone with a green "submit for payment" button. Click on that to request payment.

The next step is for the client to approve the request.

If the client does not approve the request, the milestone is released after 14 days unless the client requests changes. 

OK did all that. Thank you so much. Now to wait for the client.....

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members