cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I invoice my client for a fixed price project?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 15

Christine, if you're not interested in having payment secured through escrow and are willing to assume the risk of the client opting not to pay, you can easily just send the client a message with the amount you want to "invoice" and he can pay you using the bonus feature. 

The milestone system is there to protect you, both with escrow and with the clarity of knowing exactly how much work has been funded and documenting what has been agreed upon for that amount. But, if you consider all that a hassle, just don't use it.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
12 of 15

Where did I say that I'm not interested in having my payment secured through Escrow? Quite the opposite. I assume that I'm allowed to voice an opinion when I think that there are things about Upwork that could be improved, without attracting snarky remarks?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 15

@Christine A wrote:

Where did I say that I'm not interested in having my payment secured through Escrow? Quite the opposite. I assume that I'm allowed to voice an opinion when I think that there are things about Upwork that could be improved, without attracting snarky remarks?

Milestones are the escrow system. You clearly objected to that and wanted to be able to invoice instead, which typically does not involve escrow.

I'm not sure why you think responding to the preference you stated with a suggestion as to how you could achieve the process you prefer is "snarky," but lesson learned. I promise never again to share what has been for me a successful workaround with you. 

Happy to have been able to accommodate you by creating an opportunity for you to deem your own post "best answer," though.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 15

@Christine A wrote:

Where did I say that I'm not interested in having my payment secured through Escrow?

That would have been the part where you worked on unfunded milestones.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 15

Let me try to explain one more time. I DO want escrow to be funded. I messaged my client to say "Could you please fund the final milestone?" She responds, "Can you send me an invoice?" And I have to respond, "No, I can't."

That's the problem, in a nutshell.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS