cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why can't I use this profile pic?

elliott_hurd
Elliott H Member Since: Oct 17, 2017
1 of 9

I really need to get my account going so I can do some work soon. The profile pic I'm using now is childish so I went to grab one of the nicer photos of myself, but no matter how i crop it it refuses to accept that this is my face.

I'm very frustrated, and I don't have the means to take another picture this nice.

It wouldnt even let me post this in "new to upwork" so sorry if this is the wrong place. This website is endlessly frustrating for me.hgc.jpg

hilltechnology
Ace Contributor
Joshua C Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
2 of 9

Try looking straight and add the background

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

It is the black glasses cutting your face in half. It irritates the facial recognition software.

Don't concentrate on your profile picture, there is nothing wrong with the one you have for now. Add an overview, add a portfolio, complete your profile as such. Clients care a lot more about your work than your photo.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

Elliott, I don't represent Upwork so this is just my opinion, but I don't think your current picture is 'childish', just old-fashioned, which I don't think is a bad thing. As to the one that's being rejected, the glasses are probably confusing the algorithm screening the photo. Of course, I realize the glasses are meant to be at the end of your nose, but the photo validation algorithm isn't smart enough to handle artistic effects too well, I don't believe.

View solution in original post

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 9

Whether it's really you or not, it looks like a stock photo. I don't know whether that's why it's being rejected or not, but it is a reason that you may want to reconsider using it, as many clients are likely to assume that your profile is fake if they also believe this to be a stock photo.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 9

@Tiffany S wrote:

Whether it's really you or not,

I would swear I've seen the original one before..... but it says this is her only post.....

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
7 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

I would swear I've seen the original one before..... but it says this is her only post.....

On this account.......just saying.....

elliott_hurd
8 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

I suppose there's a chance you saw it on my blog last year? Other than that I have no idea.

elliott_hurd
9 of 9

And here I thought editing out the background made it look more like a professional headshot...  I never even considered that. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS