Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we know who got the job?

cppublishing
Ace Contributor
Clark K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
1 of 22

On Elance when a freelancer was chosen for a job his/her name and the amount were posted. Why is it we con't see that on Upwork?

And antoher thing: in the Find Jobs area, why doesn't Upwork post the number of propsals and the number of people being interviewed along with the other thumbnail information about the job? How hard would that be? That way if I see 50 people have applied for a job and 10 are being interviewed I know not to bother even looking at it.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 22

@Clark K wrote:

On Elance when a freelancer was chosen for a job his/her name and the amount were posted. Why is it we con't see that on Upwork?

And antoher thing: in the Find Jobs area, why doesn't Upwork post the number of propsals and the number of people being interviewed along with the other thumbnail information about the job? How hard would that be? That way if I see 50 people have applied for a job and 10 are being interviewed I know not to bother even looking at it.

oDesk used to show who was awarded a job - a feature that has since been removed. However, you can see how many proposals and the number of people being interviewed if you click on the job offer and scroll down.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 22

I used to look at who won too, but now that it doesn't show, I realize it's not important anyway. You could speculate why they do it. It stops contractors from bidding what they think others will bid (this worked for me to my advantage), stops people from copying other contractor profiles (not sure if that works well... see review my profile thread), it's a curiosity that isn't necessary, etc.

I think I bid a lot better now. I think I've gotten maybe 2 rejection letters since the first of the year, and one of them was for a guy I had to tell straight up that his site is not going to rank in Google so he's wasting his time.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 22

Why would we want/need to know who got a job and how much they were being paid?

cppublishing
Ace Contributor
Clark K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
5 of 22

I would like to know who got a particular job and how much they are being paid so that I can get a feel for the sort of profiles that appeal to prospective clients: clever packaging of the freelancer’s talents? extensive portfolio? formal training? Upwork tests passed? So that I see the trends for hiring on Upwork: do clients go for the bottom dollar bid? do they prefer freelancers from a certain part of the world? do they respond to the freelancer’s positive feedback? This is why I would like to know who got the job.

Whenever I win a job on Upwork I’m told it’s because I am particularly qualified. I would also like to know why I didn’t win a certain job. Is it the money? With all these $5 and $10 jobs I wouldn’t be surprised. Although I have occasionally been successful in convincing people that their months of hard work poured into writing their book deserves more than a $20 layout.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
6 of 22

Pros and cons on not showing the award amount; utter nonsense to not disclose the provider the job was awarded to.

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 22

@Clark K wrote:

I would like to know who got a particular job and how much they are being paid so that I can get a feel for the sort of profiles that appeal to prospective clients: clever packaging of the freelancer’s talents? extensive portfolio? formal training? Upwork tests passed? So that I see the trends for hiring on Upwork: do clients go for the bottom dollar bid? do they prefer freelancers from a certain part of the world? do they respond to the freelancer’s positive feedback? This is why I would like to know who got the job.

Whenever I win a job on Upwork I’m told it’s because I am particularly qualified. I would also like to know why I didn’t win a certain job. Is it the money? With all these $5 and $10 jobs I wouldn’t be surprised. Although I have occasionally been successful in convincing people that their months of hard work poured into writing their book deserves more than a $20 layout.

This doesn't really benefit Upwork though. I think it drives a race to the bottom in rates, which is probably why Elance was so bad. Also promotes one person doing well and a bunch of losers copying that person's profile.

I've seen some people trying to emulate mine and I LOL cuz I'll still mow them over with a higher rate. Ignoring what everyone else is doing is probably the best thing Upwork forced on me.

I basically pay no attention to any of the numbers the Elancers are so used to paying attention to. If you have the skill set, you will win.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
8 of 22

Jennifer, a bunch of past eLancers might well argue your erroneous statement “I think it drives a race to the bottom in rates, which is probably why Elance was so bad.” 

Based on conversations with innumerable folks who did very well on E - and are doing just fine on U - eLance had much higher and more realistic overall client budgets coupled with buyer cognizance of what constitutes professional rates + willingness to pay them. In other words, on eLance these jobs constituted a far higher percentage of the awarded jobs.

I know you were very loyal to oD and are now to Upwork but making blanket statements is not only egregious but also foolish.

lysis10
Community Guru
9 of 22

Yeah yeah I keep hearing about these mysterious people but we all know that companies using bait and switch techniques dominated elance. Elance was a race to the bottom.

This place is great. And we get to see real people making good money instead of the mysterious secretive elancers who disagree but they only talk to other elancers who disagree and never come out publicly. 

All so mysterious but they are irrelevant anyway. No one cares about them.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
10 of 22

Please supply data to back up your statement "we all know that companies using bait and switch techniques dominated elance."

Rather than making blatant comments like this, please supply your source(s) for validity of same.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS