Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 22

It dun died? Iz that good data?

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 22

Jennifer, so did oD.  When both oD and eL were 'shuttered'; merged, - whatever terms the buyout deemed best - the result was Upwork. 

Forgive me, but I am at a loss to understand your confrontational attitude on eLance - a platform which I understand you did quite well on.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 22

I did OK on Elance, but here is much better. I was never on oDesk so can't compare.

My earnings have doubled since Elance.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 22
Wendy,

I believe the most accurate description is that oDesk bought Elance, shut it down, and rebranded itself as Upwork.

Best,
Michael
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 22

Thanks, Michael. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 22

@Clark K wrote:

I would like to know who got a particular job and how much they are being paid so that I can get a feel for the sort of profiles that appeal to prospective clients: clever packaging of the freelancer’s talents? extensive portfolio? formal training? Upwork tests passed? So that I see the trends for hiring on Upwork: do clients go for the bottom dollar bid? do they prefer freelancers from a certain part of the world? do they respond to the freelancer’s positive feedback? This is why I would like to know who got the job.

Whenever I win a job on Upwork I’m told it’s because I am particularly qualified. I would also like to know why I didn’t win a certain job. Is it the money? With all these $5 and $10 jobs I wouldn’t be surprised. Although I have occasionally been successful in convincing people that their months of hard work poured into writing their book deserves more than a $20 layout.

In theory, this makes sense. But, I've noticed a trend in these discussions that would suggest that the freelancers who are investing the most time and effort in attempting to understand those things, evaluate the competition, etc. eat up a lot of time and don't seem to get a lot of satisfaction. Meanwhile, those who seem most satisfied with their results here generally say they pay no attention to what others are doing and simply bid their rates on jobs that are well suited to them. 

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
17 of 22

I think that for most of us it's more a question of time available to do all the troublesome checking of "Who got the job and for how much and are they in fact always hired by that client and/or part of the client's team and not really in competition with the rest of us?" and not so much a question of whether we want to get a feel for the competition or not. At least that's my experience so far: I simply don't have the time to do it. And time is money, so...

But for me personally what would be much more informative than knowing who got the job is knowing whether the job was awarded at all (within a reasonable period) or whether the client closed it, just forgot about it or whatever. To get that information now, I have to click my way through all my "proposals submitted". No thanks.

kmhernandez
Ace Contributor
Kristen H Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
18 of 22

Actually, there is a way to know who got the job. Go back to the job posting, and click on "Jobs in Progress" right above the listing of client's past jobs. It won't show what they're getting paid until after the job is completed, though. 

I agree with those who are saying it's mostly a waste of time. But, it could help to pick up a few hints about how to make a better profile, for sure. 

moralesc
Cecilia M Member Since: Feb 17, 2016
19 of 22

I think it could be useful to take a look at other people's profiles when you're new and are still struggling to get that first job. Having skills is one thing, but learning to stand out among the crowd and learning how to present yourself is a different one, in my opinion. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
20 of 22

@Cecilia M wrote:

I think it could be useful to take a look at other people's profiles when you're new and are still struggling to get that first job. Having skills is one thing, but learning to stand out among the crowd and learning how to present yourself is a different one, in my opinion. 

You're not alone.

But have you seen this?

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Changes-to-how-Upwork-displays-proposals-on-a-job-post...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS