cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we modify hourly job rates?

Highlighted
John B Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
1 of 19

Problem: Client is generally vague in the description and that is understandable. When bidding for a project, the freelancer doesn't have a clue on the joc specifics so a default hourly rate is applied.

After discussions with the client the freelancer notes that he needs to modify the hourly job rate.

Right now, there is only an option to 'lower' the hourly rate, but no way to increase the hourly rate. This is quite absurd given the circumstances.

Can upwork please look into resolving this issue?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 19

Resolving?

That is the way it has always been and I doubt it will change.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
3 of 19

"there is only an option to 'lower' the hourly rate, but no way to increase the hourly rate."

It's advanced technology.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 19

you can change your bid at any time, up to the point where you were hired.

Once you have agreed to a rate and have entered a legally binding contract it requires the client's consent to up the rate. The client can "raise it" with a couple of clicks of the mouse in the same way you can lower it!

You would not like the client to be able to unilaterally lower what you are paid per hour either, would you?

It's up to you to clarify what you want to be paid, before accepting a contract. You are free to re-negotiate your rate with the client ,but of course you can't just up it during a contract. That's like the  price of your dinner being doubled while you're eating it. That doesn't make sense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
5 of 19

I didn't read the OP that way at all. He is asking why can't either side, when agreed upon, change the hourly rate? Why can't it be done so whichever side makes a change, the other has to approve? That stops any unilateral change, which I am sure none of us (well, at least most of us) aren't expecting.

I have worked with clients who are out of the office all day and work from their phones. Anything I could handle for them, with their approval of course, they were grateful for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 19

Yes, that's the real issue - the ability of clients to change terms without requiring freelancer approval. I hope Upwork will fix this problem soon.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 19

And really, it should apply to both lowering an hourly rate OR upping an hourly rate. Basically, any renegotiations at all should be able to be accommodated and approved by either and both sides.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 19

@fergus M wrote:

Yes, that's the real issue - the ability of clients to change terms without requiring freelancer approval. I hope Upwork will fix this problem soon.

Huh??

On hourly contracts the client can give a freelancer a raise without requiring the freelancer's approval. (They cannot lower it)  I can see how that would upset any freelancer greatly...

I for one hope they don't change that

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 19

@Cathleen C wrote:

Why can't it be done so whichever side makes a change, the other has to approve? That stops any unilateral change, which I am sure none of us (well, at least most of us) aren't expecting.

I have worked with clients who are out of the office all day and work from their phones. Anything I could handle for them, with their approval of course, they were grateful for.

It takes no longer and no more effort to just click on the conveniently situated "raise rate"  function, surely?

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 19

I wonder why you didn't mention a "raise rate" function in your earlier post? And is that function only available from the client's side? Does the freelancer get to approve it? I haven't seen others mention this functionality, is it something new?

I am new here. I have completed one hourly job. The whole platform is SO cumbersome, I am not going to be bidding on anything else until the numerous major problems get ironed out. Because others are complaining and asking the same questions I am, I really don't think it's a case of me being blind. ;-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS