Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we modify hourly job rates?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 19

@Cathleen C wrote:

I wonder why you didn't mention a "raise rate" function in your earlier post? And is that function only available from the client's side? Does the freelancer get to approve it? I haven't seen others mention this functionality, is it something new?

Cathleen, freelancers can lower their rate without requiring the client's approval, and clients can up the freelancer's rate without the freelancer's approval. It's a couple of pretty obvious mouse-clicks from either side. How many clients would object violently to the freelancer lowering the rate, and how many freelancers would object violently to a payrise?

No, it's not new at all

I am new here. I have completed one hourly job. The whole platform is SO cumbersome, I am not going to be bidding on anything else until the numerous major problems get ironed out. Because others are complaining and asking the same questions I am, I really don't think it's a case of me being blind. ;-)

Cathleen, you find it cumbersome because it is unfamiliar, and because it is massively stressful to be migrated somewhere you don't understand anddon't want to be from somewhere you really loved. Plus the bugs.

But you know, I would really wish everyone would settle down and give it a fair chance. This isn't easy for anyone and the sooner we all start to quit the "us and them" mindset and start thinking in terms of "us" the better.

This is "home" now - let's all pull together and make the best of it.

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
12 of 19

"Cathleen, freelancers can lower their rate without requiring the client's approval, and clients can up the freelancer's rate without the freelancer's approval. It's a couple of pretty obvious mouse-clicks from either side. How many clients would object violently to the freelancer lowering the rate, and how many freelancers would object violently to a payrise?"

From my standpoint, the objections are irrelevant. It is the fact that Upwork has shifted power. What happened to freelancers and clients working together?

It's funny you are saying I should stop thinking "us vs. them", but most everything on this site takes away from the freelancer and gives to the client. To me, that is most certainly an us vs. them.

I am here; I am monitoring what is going on. I am not certain yet if this is "home." I don't like the professionalism of the site, and I don't like how freelancers are being treated, and I don't like having to wait so long for my money, when the client gets the work in a matter of hours or a couple of days. If no changes are made to the mentality, this most definitely will not be "home."

Junho S Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
13 of 19

Hourly rate is an integral piece of contractual/freelance work so I wonder why Upwork felt the need to make it misleading in any sense.

Perhaps there should be an option to "negotiate" the rate in case the fluidity/possibility of minor adjustments of the rate is expected. In other words, both parties should be able to pitch in a figure (desired) and a minimum/maxium value (negotiable). In case of discrepancy, the Client should be able to choose either of these figures (desired or negotiable) and send a quick notification to the freelancer as confirmation.

In addition: as long as there is mutual agreement between both parties, fixing the hourly rate should not be as rigid or restricted as it currently stands.

This is definitely tricky given the Proposal/bidding situation but I don't see how more flexibility and control would hurt any party in this situation.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
14 of 19

Petra probably already said all of this, but as someone whose contract was changed by a client just last week, I can confirm that the client can indeed give you a payrise without your consent. They can also increase your hours.

While I certainly do not have anything against my client wanting to pay me more than we agreed, I can imagine several circumstances where a client increasing your contracted hours a week could cause some issues. In my case, this was not a problem, but for a lot of other freelancers, it could cause major issues, especially if the client increased them significantly (I do not know if there is a cap) while the freelancer was already commited to other projects. Could a mod confirm if there is a cap to hour increase made by the client? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 19

@Hanna N wrote:

Could a mod confirm if there is a cap to hour increase made by the client? 

Hi Hanna,

Clients can set up a weekly limit of up to 168 hours. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
16 of 19

@Valeria K wrote:

@Hanna N wrote:

Could a mod confirm if there is a cap to hour increase made by the client? 

Hi Hanna,

Clients can set up a weekly limit of up to 168 hours. 

You've got to be kidding me - without consulting the freelancer in any way?

24/7 - if a client feels so inclined? 

168 hours??? So no cap at all?

Community Guru
17 of 19

I have to agree with Ela, 168 hours is ridiculous. That is basically UpWork agreeing that it is ok for a contractor to bill for the time they are sleeping. Just to have the cap at what is humanly possible, it should be capped at 120 hours a week, which would calculate 6 hours a day for sleeping, and I'm sure most contractors here would agree that even that is heavily pushing it. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 19

Hanna N wrote:, I can imagine several circumstances where a client increasing your contracted hours a week could cause some issues. In my case, this was not a problem, but for a lot of other freelancers, it could cause major issues, especially if the client increased them significantly (I do not know if there is a cap) while the freelancer was already commited to other projects. Could a mod confirm if there is a cap to hour increase made by the client? 

Those are not your "contracted" hours, Hanna, those are the maximum hours per week you MAY work log and will get paid for if you so desire. It doesn't mean you have to....

Lots of contracts have no weekly limit at all.

It is the maximum limit!

Community Guru
19 of 19

Petra wrote

-----------

Those are not your "contracted" hours, Hanna, those are themaximum hours per week you MAY work log and will get paid for if you so desire. It doesn't mean you have to....

-----------

Thanks you for the reply Petra, I wrote a bit too vaguely. Of course I wouldn't log in hours to the weekly limit if there was no work to do, what I meant to say is that there are clients that do seem to expect that you "reserve" these hours for them, wether you use them or not, and that could be a problematic situation. Which I admit is bizarre, but reading some of the job posts, that is certainly the mental image I get. "Freelancer must be available at least 20 hours a week." Now what if a client like this upped your hours to 40 or 60 without consulting you first? I think it could become a nightmare.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS