Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Why cant we ask questions to the client?

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
1 of 21

Hello workers!

 

why cant we ask questions to our clients about thier job before they do?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 21

@Pascal S wrote:

Hello workers!

 

why cant we ask questions to our clients about thier job before they do?


You can ask whatever questions you want to the client. You can do this at the initial stage when you send a proposal, or you can do that once the client messaged you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
3 of 21

sorry i was not clear enough

 

i meant onc  e we see a job why cant we ask some questions to a client before spending 2 connects?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 21

@Pascal S wrote:

sorry i was not clear enough

 

i meant onc  e we see a job why cant we ask some questions to a client before spending 2 connects?


This would defeat the purpose of connects. Clients would be flooded by messages sent by zombies, begging to be hired and they would just run on another platform.

 

This is why connects were invented in the first place.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
5 of 21

@Rene K wrote:

@Pascal S wrote:

sorry i was not clear enough

 

i meant onc  e we see a job why cant we ask some questions to a client before spending 2 connects?


This would defeat the purpose of connects. Clients would be flooded by messages sent by zombies, begging to be hired and they would just run on another platform.

 

This is why connects were invented in the first place.


I understand what you are saying, Rene, but so many job postings are so vague that one can't be sure if they are worth wasting connects on, or not.  I have submitted proposals for jobs, only to find out that they were NOT what they appeared to be.  Hence, wasted connects.  For instance, I cannot BELIEVE how many clients ask for freelancers to write articles for their website but don't even bother to mention what their website is about!  That makes all the difference in the world!  If I submit a proposal to write for you and you then tell me your website is  for motorcycle repair enthusiasts, then we are BOTH going to be disappointed!  Can I do some research and write the articles, anyway?  Probably, but I don't necessarily want to.  If I do, then you better be sure you are going to pay me for my time spent doing that research.  Most clients aren't willing to do that, so we agree to part ways.  But I'm still out two connects.  Clients need training on how to post jobs.  It would save trouble on BOTH sides. 

phuongdo
Ace Contributor
Phuong D Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
6 of 21

Maybe spend 1 connect in order to ask questions ? Smiley Happy

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
7 of 21

@Pascal S wrote:

sorry i was not clear enough

 

i meant onc  e we see a job why cant we ask some questions to a client before spending 2 connects?


Pascal,

 

It works on other sites but Upwork claims that it won't work here for the reasons René mentioned. 

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 21

Years ago (on eLance) providers could ask questions and the opportunity was horribly abused. Some providers were pushy, rude, and frankly, offensive. 

 

Lesson learned.  It will not happen. 

 

Ask questions in your proposal or just don't bid on the job.

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
9 of 21

@Wendy C wrote:

Years ago (on eLance) providers could ask questions and the opportunity was horribly abused. Some providers were pushy, rude, and frankly, offensive. 

 

Lesson learned.  It will not happen. 

 

Ask questions in your proposal or just don't bid on the job.


haha that was almost rude... thank god not offensive! Smiley Happy

 

its also helping freelancers to know where to spend their tokens not only used as you discribe

its easy to see the wrong side of things Smiley Sad

 

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
10 of 21

There is more on this topic here:

 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Allowing-messages-before-proposal/td-p/166379

 

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS