cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why cant we ask questions to the client?

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
11 of 21

Well I share the experience others have made with this not to be named site. Clients can be asked questions and are not spammed. And, it's not a ghost site, in July my revenue on that site was higher than on Upwork. On the other hand I do offer my services at a lower price there, as they ask for less commission. Commission is cost, hence my price on Upwork is higher than there.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 21

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread. Please, note that advertisements of any products or services as well as accusations of another person or company of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing are not allowed in the Community.

While we don't have any plans to add an option to ask questions before sending proposal, we are going to continue working on helping clients create more descriptive postings.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jmeyn
Community Guru
13 of 21

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread. Please, note that advertisements of any products or services as well as accusations of another person or company of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing are not allowed in the Community.

While we don't have any plans to add an option to ask questions before sending proposal, we are going to continue working on helping clients create more descriptive postings.

Valeria, I'm marking a lot of RFPs as "vague description" and the number simply doesn't seem to decrease. I'd love to see the option we have had on Elance, flag them as inappropriate due to insufficient deliverables. On Elance they were then taken down and the client notified that they would have to flesh up their RFP. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 21

@Joachim M wrote:

I'd love to see the option we have had on Elance, flag them as inappropriate due to insufficient deliverables. 

And this wouldn't even necessarily involve the team. If two of more freelancers hits this button, the client may be notified automatically that freelancers think his RFP is lacking information.

It may force the client to go back to his RFP and think about how he can be more specific.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
15 of 21

@Rene K wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

I'd love to see the option we have had on Elance, flag them as inappropriate due to insufficient deliverables. 

And this wouldn't even necessarily involve the team. If two of more freelancers hits this button, the client may be notified automatically that freelancers think his RFP is lacking information.

It may force the client to go back to his RFP and think about how he can be more specific.

Great idea René. This could even be extended to other problem areas, e.g. low budget. If a certain number of contractors mark the job as having a too low budget the client is notified that they are missing out on qualified contractors.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 21

@Joachim M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Great idea René. This could even be extended to other problem areas, e.g. low budget. If a certain number of contractors mark the job as having a too low budget the client is notified that they are missing out on qualified contractors.

As all other good ideas from this community, this one is going straight to the priority folder, conveniently located at the bottom of the trash can.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
millermelanie
Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
17 of 21

A lot of this problem could be alleviated if clients had more guidelines for posting jobs.  Perhaps they should be required to fill out certain fields before their "submit" button gets highlighted for them?  This would be just as beneficial to the clients, I would think, as it is to the freelancers, since it would cut down on the number of proposals  for them to have to wade through.  They would only be hearing from contractors who are interested and/or qualified.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 21

+ 1 for Joachim's suggestion.  Serious clients appreciated knowing why they weren't getting qualified bidders and took steps to correct their RFPs. The end results was that everyone was happy.

jmeyn
Community Guru
19 of 21

@Melanie M wrote:

A lot of this problem could be alleviated if clients had more guidelines for posting jobs.  Perhaps they should be required to fill out certain fields before their "submit" button gets highlighted for them?  This would be just as beneficial to the clients, I would think, as it is to the freelancers, since it would cut down on the number of proposals  for them to have to wade through.  They would only be hearing from contractors who are interested and/or qualified.

Also specific hints could pop up e.g. if somebody enters a RFP in the category translation the hint that translators prefer fixed price jobs based on word count. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
20 of 21

I have never in my freelancing life "wasted" a connect. I have invested many. Some investments have been better than others.

Best to all,

Michael

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS