🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why did Upwork take so long to suspend this c...
Page options
n_sappleton
Community Member

Why did Upwork take so long to suspend this contract?

I started a fixed payment contract with a client on 24/2.
This was due five days later.
I worked in the project and around two hours before submission on 1/3, I received an email from Upwork telling me the contract was suspend. Clearly there’s a payment problem.

I can’t deliver this work as I won’t get paid, right?

Meanwhile the client is badgering me for the work (25 emails yesterday!!!).

Why did Upwork take so long to realise this?

It’s a waste of my time - which I’m not being paid for. Plus I have an angry client who is blaming me (even though I keep telling them it’s on them to get this contract restarted).

I’m tempted to just hand it over to the client since it’s useless to me. Advice?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Natalie S wrote:
I started a fixed payment contract with a client on 24/2.
This was due five days later.
I worked in the project and around two hours before submission on 1/3, I received an email from Upwork telling me the contract was suspend. Clearly there’s a payment problem.

I can’t deliver this work as I won’t get paid, right?

Is the contract funded? (Money in Escrow?) Just submit and request payment, what is the worst that can happen?

The client could be suspended for all sorts of reasons, so as long as the client was payment method verified and the funds are in Escrow (OR you had an hourly contract and properly tracked your time) there is no reason to hang on to work that was funded or tracked BEFORE the contract was suspended.

My thoughts too, Petra, but Upwork have told me not to work on the contract at all. Except I’ve already completed it. I know they’re fussy about rules and not violating rules so I’m sticking to that plan at the minute. I just wish they’d been quicker about suspending the contract.

Good point about the reasons for suspension though. I presumed this was about unverified payment but perhaps it’s something else!

The client did mention something about having a problem with another freelancer. Hmm.

Natalie S wrote:
My thoughts too, Petra, but Upwork have told me not to work on the contract at all. Except I’ve already completed it. I know they’re fussy about rules and not violating rules so I’m sticking to that plan at the minute. I just wish they’d been quicker about suspending the contract.

Good point about the reasons for suspension though. I presumed this was about unverified payment but perhaps it’s something else!

The client did mention something about having a problem with another freelancer. Hmm.

It was finished and the funds in Escrow so you did not "work on the contract" - just submit for payment and get the client off of your back. Upwork will not suspend the contract - what would that do for you? All that will happen is that at 90 days the funds go back to the client and the contract gets closed.

Just submit, it is not against any rules. You should have done that straight away rather than infuriate the client.

Petra R wrote:

Just submit, it is not against any rules. You should have done that straight away rather than infuriate the client.

If that is the case, Upwork probably shouldn't be sending standard emails that state

"Please hold off on working on this contract through Upwork until we give you the all clear. We know this hold is frustrating, but it is essential for the safety of your account and the marketplace. No action is required on your part right now and we will be in touch as soon as possible".

That's verbatim.

Natalie S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

If that is the case, Upwork probably shouldn't be sending standard emails that state

"Please hold off on working on this contract through Upwork until we give you the all clear. We know this hold is frustrating, but it is essential for the safety of your account and the marketplace. No action is required on your part right now and we will be in touch as soon as possible".

That's verbatim.

Yes. But the work was already done. Where does it say "Do not send the client the work they have already paid for (into Escrow) and you had already done?

Just submit and be done with it, and apologize to the client and hope the feedback doesn't end up too horrific."

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members