🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Why did this client just spam 197 people?...
Page options
renata101
Community Member

Why did this client just spam 197 people? Isn't there a limit now?

My understanding of the recent changes to client inviations is that clients are now being limited in terms of the number of invitations they can send freelancers. This is the job I was invited to this morning:

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.43.14 PM.png

I thought this might be due to the client having privileges associated with an old account, but it appears that the account has only been active since March 2019. So why was the client able to send the invitation to 197 people? How is this possible if the invitations are limited?

This is only one aspect of the problem. The client is asking for 7000 words of editing and proofreading for the following budget. (Note: This is not a placer. The client clearly states in the post that the budget is $10. The budget for writing it was $70.) To put it into perspective, depending on the state of the draft, this would probably be at least 5 hours of work. And since the client paid a grand total of $70 for it, it's likely it would take a lot longer to do the job.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 12.43.21 PM.png

This means the expected earnings for UW for entertaining postings of this kind are under $3. I guess the only happy thought in all of this is that this client will get the kind of job you can get for $10.

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

The client paid to feature the job, that's why he has unlimited invites. Ridiculous to pay $ 29 to post a $ 10 job lol...

featured.jpg

As for the price... Shrug.... let someone waste a day trying to fix it for $ 10. Who cares, those clients and their freelancer equivalent always find each other down in the murky depths of the freelancing pond.

Why bother getting upset about it...

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

This happens a lot. They post for a job to get everyone to do a "test edit" for a low amount. Everyone gets a different page to "test edit" so the project gets done cheaply but poorly. 

I wonder why I didn't get an invitation? Guess they weren't looking for quality. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

I understand your concern... but no matter how distasteful a job proposal may seem to you, if a client is following the rules, then they're following the rules.

A fixed-price job with a payment of $10 falls within Upwork's rules.

I think the proper response is to simply decline a job that doesn't fit your preferences.

Preston H wrote:

I understand your concern... but no matter how distasteful a job proposal may seem to you, if a client is following the rules, then they're following the rules.

I think the proper response is to simply decline a job that doesn't fit your preferences.

Hi Preston, 

I think the fact that it's distasteful is beside the point (although, granted, it is distasteful because the takehome would be 50 cents an hour or less). UW doesn't even generate significant earnings from jobs like this. Just because it's normalized behavior on the platform (meaning we're all used to it and it's something we've come to expect), doesn't mean that it isn't fundamentally problematic. 

Perhaps legitimate clients never look at postings like this and never form impressions based on them. It's hard to know. 

Renata S wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Hi Preston, 

I think the fact that it's distasteful is beside the point (although, granted, it is distasteful because the takehome would be 50 cents an hour or less). UW doesn't even generate significant earnings from jobs like this. Just because it's normalized behavior on the platform (meaning we're all used to it and it's something we've come to expect), doesn't mean that it isn't fundamentally problematic. 

Perhaps legitimate clients never look at postings like this and never form impressions based on them. It's hard to know. 

+1000

I have just been invited to a job where the client (who has good reviews) has invited 185 freelancers and is interviewing 17. The job is not featured. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members